Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return was rejected - I know I have to fix the SSN, but the middle initial.....

Vols3827
Level 3

So the middle initial is missing from the info wks, but she has no actual middle initial.  What should i put in the middle initial box if she doesn't even have a middle name?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

14 Comments 14
ehill
Level 4

If it was rejected because the SSN was typed in wrong that is all you have to do.  Middle initial is not checked or required.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Just don't enter it.  I don't ever enter a middle initial for my clients.

0 Cheers
Vols3827
Level 3

So now do i have to pay again to file?  I do the pay per return.  So do i have to pay again because IRS rejected it?

0 Cheers
TiredFarmer
Level 7

Are you having any issues for 2022? I usually can work around but none of it working for me this year. Unchecking error doesn't work either.

Thanks

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

What kind of problems are you having?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

No you don't have to pay again because the IRS rejected the return.

You have to pay again, because it was originally filed with an incorrect SSN

IRonMaN
Level 15

Good advice, but that question was asked two years ago 😉

Slava Ukraini!
TiredFarmer
Level 7

It won't let me convert without a middle initial and they don't have one on their social security card. It has been rejected due to name not matching ss base.  Internet in my area having issues today. Sorry for the delay.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Is it a new client or one that you have been preparing for awhile?

Slava Ukraini!
TiredFarmer
Level 7

New but she is one the has maiden name and last name as her last name and it is that way on her social security card. I am usually pretty good at finding a work around but I have tried everything I can think of and it still rejects for not matching data base records.  We have had internet issues all day today and they say it will probably happen tomorrow sorry I asked for help and then couldn't respond back.

Update: Used the first letter of maiden name as middle initial and rest with last name and accepted.  Sorry but sometimes I just really miss pencil and carbon paper days.  Thank you for your support and would have marked solved but could not find that option. The not so tired farmer.😊

taxes96786
Level 9

The names on the returns should match the names on SS Card exactly. I know they don't check the middle initial but complications can arise when client has a common name or is a Sr/Jr, II/III etc

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

@TiredFarmer  - I'm glad you got if fixed and it's also good to hear that you aren't quite so tired.😀

Slava Ukraini!
taxes96786
Level 9

Do you have a copy of the prior year return? What does her name show on it?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

He got the return to clear, what difference does it make?

Slava Ukraini!