Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you enter the 1095-A corrections for SLCSP showing as -0-

juliehissong
Level 2

When the 1095-A indicates -0- as the second lowest cost silver premium the figure must be corrected by the tax preparer if a premium tax credit needs to be calculated, as stated in the instructions for the 8962.  I am struggling with getting the IRS to understand this correction, they want to put it back to -0-, therefore making the taxpayer ineligible for their premium tax credit.  Perhaps I am entering the corrected data in the wrong place.  The 8962 does not allow a override in the SLCSP field, therefore I am entering the correct data on the 1095-A.  Correct? I know I will have more of these for the 2021 season and would like to prevent this refund hold up, incorrect adjustment by the IRS, and time consuming explanations with the IRS.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

It sounds like you are doing it correctly.  As such, there is nothing you can do except to warn the clients about a possible delay (and the delay will likely be very long).

Just make sure that you are entering the correct numbers, and make sure the client doesn't have other health insurance which would disallow the Premium Tax Credit.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@TaxGuyBill  I think you can help with this one.

The only ones Ive seen with zeros in the SLCSP column are those whose income is far too high for any subsidies.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
juliehissong
Level 2

Thanks for your response Lisa.  The 1095-A will usually show -0- in the SLCSP column whenever the taxpayer had not previously applied for an advanced premium tax credit.  In some instances the individual is actually eligible and it needs to be claimed on the tax return.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

It sounds like you are doing it correctly.  As such, there is nothing you can do except to warn the clients about a possible delay (and the delay will likely be very long).

Just make sure that you are entering the correct numbers, and make sure the client doesn't have other health insurance which would disallow the Premium Tax Credit.

qbteachmt
Level 15

What is in Col A compared to the value you find should be in Col B?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers