Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do u remove the TSJ error in final review?

Paul-G-328
Level 4

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Theres a place to turn off the TSJ toggle, somewhere in Tools > Options

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

21 Comments 21
IRonMaN
Level 15

Mark the entries that don't have a T or S with a T or a S.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Theres a place to turn off the TSJ toggle, somewhere in Tools > Options

This may be off topic, at least directly, but you really can't just turn off TSJ once you turned it on and used it on a specific client.  It rolls over year to year, even with TSJ unchecked.  I am aware there is an option to do so but it doesn't work just by unchecking it.   Customer service told me the only way to do it is to change everything to "T" and kill off the spouse by literally removing him/her from the return, then verifying the TSJ indicators is unchecked, save the file, and then re-enter the spouse info.  That works.

If anyone has a better/easier way to do it, please let me know.  All my clients who I filed separately a few years back when they excluded some of the unemployment from taxation still have TSJ.  I have been too lazy to kill someone off and then bring them back.  But the indicators bug me and I wish they were gone.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Wouldn't it just be easier to mark T S or J?

There are many situations where it is needed.

Ex-AllStar

Other than MFS, when would it be needed?  I'm not doing returns in community property states and I rarely, if ever, do MFS unless it is a situation like the unemployment situation a few years ago.

So yes, I am whining about a few returns.  But as I said before, those indicators really bug me.

IRonMaN
Level 15

They can be meaningful for some states.

Slava Ukraini!

Not in IL.  Only thing meaningful here is Fireball  and Teslas that can't be charged in the cold.  I know they could be useful in community property states but I can't think of any circumstance at all other than MFS where they are useful in IL.  If I'm missing something, please enlighten me. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

MD has a 2 earner deduction.

VA has a spouse tax adjustment.

DC will do a Combined Separate calculation on a joint return when beneficial.

etc.

Ex-AllStar

You have all the fun stuff!😃

Like I said, I have no reason to use them here in IL.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Do you enter the indicators at all?

What if each spouse has a $90K W-2? If you don't enter T or S you'll get excess SS on the return, and no dependent care credit, for example.

I find it to best practice to always enter. Then it's there when it matters.

But you do what works for you.

Ex-AllStar

I'm referring to the TSJ indicators themselves.  They don't do anything with the excess SS.  The W-2 identifier is just a check box on the W-2 worksheet.  I check those boxes, as well as the boxes on the 1099R worksheets.  And I put the 1099SSA info in the correct columns.

Checking boxes and using columns does not bother me!

geiden
Level 2

I have a return with no spouse, ever, and I'm still getting the same error message. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You have the TSJ indicator feature turned on.  Turn it off.  The software evidently isn't smart enough to figure out that there is only one taxpayer and it is trying to figure out who is who.

Slava Ukraini!
geiden
Level 2

It is turned off, in Tools under Options, is there another place I need to change that information?

IRonMaN
Level 15

But if the return was started with it on, it is still evidently looking for the information.  Go in and select "T" where you have data entered.

Slava Ukraini!
geiden
Level 2

The taxpayer has always been single and no spouse information ever entered.  Shouldn't everything be with a T to start with?  I can not find any place to enter a T, he only has a W2.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Even if he takes the standard deduction, check schedule A to see if there are some items left hanging 

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If all he has is a W2, Id probably delete the file and start over from scratch, seems quicker than hassling with some weird error.

alehouse155
Level 2

I have 2 tax returns ready to go and the TSJ error is present on both.  One is Single filing and one is MFS.

There is no solution.  I have turned off the TSJ indicator.  I started a new client for the MFS and still it doesn't go away!

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Someone else in another post mentioned that it was the PTIN verification box in the Options > Firm/Preparer info that needed to be checked, it wasnt actually a TSJ error....look to see if that box is checked in your preparer info

CoolahanCpa
Level 1

I had to go to Tools, Options and under Firm/Preparer Info there was a little pink box under PTIN Verified Correct?  It was not marked, once I did that, the errors went away.  Happy Filing!