Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get Proseries to quit logging me off so often?

ivanwayne
Level 2

I have a complaint: How do I get Proseries to quit logging me off? I am the only person in this office, yet over and over I have to log back on because I stopped to return a call, talk to a client, organize a file, go in the next room to make coffee...

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
ajp
Level 5

I don't know, but lately it has logged me off WHILE I am working on a return!  What the heck is that about????

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

IRS says if your computer is idle more than 30 minutes, the tax software has to log you out.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive seen others report that, Ive never had it happen though.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
ivanwayne
Level 2

I haven't timed it

It feels like it is happening after 15 minutes

Like I say, returning a phone call or going in the next room to make coffee can be enough to get me logged off.  Looking up something in last year's file can get me logged off

And pre-pandemic, when I used to have face to face meetings with clients, some parts of an interview could involve a long-enough conversation to require logging back in

If the IRS requires that I be logged off after 30 minutes, it is an overly broad regulation, and ProSeries should be making an argument on our behalf.  I am a 1 person tax office, I never have taken walk-ins, and no one is ever in my office unsupervised. 

For me the rule is a stupid intrusion, and my feeling is there must be others out there that feel the same way

rbynaker
Level 13

You might try a mouse jiggler.  My mouse is on caffeine.

PATAX
Level 15

👍 Ivan.... You may want to hit the caps lock button once in awhile to prevent it from logging you off...

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

"....I am the only person in this office"

Hackers don't care whether it's a one person or 200 person office.  That's not the purpose of the log-out/time-out function.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

ABC, I'm not sure so I'm just asking... does not pro series have built-in security measures against that scenario?... as far as an uninvited guest coming into my office...🐕

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@PATAX 

If so, I'm switching from Lacerte 😂

I do have to say I am loving not having clients come in for appointments this season.  I miss the socialization, but with the cluster** this season has become I'm not overly user-friendly lately. 😉

I like the new pictures, BTW.    Give her (?) a cookie & ear scratch from me, k?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
PATAX
Level 15

Thanks ABC, she is a beautiful girl... Give your dog a hug for me too ... I just read an older interesting opinion article in the WSJ.. the article said that when e-filing became the dominant method of filing federal 1040, that identity theft related fraud concerning the 1040 skyrocketed... Interesting.....

0 Cheers