Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find out where a duplicate social security number is on a different return?

shf1957
Level 7

Was putting in the taxpayer's info when i got to head of household, it turned pink and said that this person is being claimed as a dependent on another return.  HOW do i find out where or which return?   It also states this for one of her children on her return.

3 Comments 3
singh
Level 7

It seems someone claimed your client on their return. There is no way you can find out who claimed him/her. Only your client can guess who else could have claimed. This situation is very common with separated parents and Head of Household where both parents claim the same dependent. This is only my guess. I have come across a few of such situation. 

ljr
Level 8

You received this error when you were filling out the info worksheet screen? I've never seen this error until I file the return and it comes back rejected saying dependent social security number used. How is proseries looking at all the returns? Did you enter the info in the lines next to the HOH box and then again in the dependent section?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Are you sure thats what it said? Or did it say the child is listed as a dependent on THAT return? Do you have the kid entered in the Dependent area?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers