Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Household Employment Sched H - tech issue

JML222
Level 4

All, 

Have a client that paid a nanny over $5000 in 2022 and filed a 1099-NEC accordingly using their SSN 

When completing Sched H, the form is requiring a. Employer ID number which the client doesn't have. 

Any ideas on how to proceed?

TIA

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Norman2001
Level 7
6 Comments 6
abctax55
Level 15

filed a 1099-NEC

Shouldn't that have been a W-2....which would have had the requisite ID numbers ?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
sjrcpa
Level 15

A. It probably should have been a W-2.

B. Schedule H is for Household Employers to report and pay taxes on the wages paid to their household employees

C. Schedule H requires an EIN. Can't use SSN.

jinx

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
JML222
Level 4

Thank you all! Unfortunately, I am stuck with the situation that the person filed a 1099 for a Nanny. Any ideas how to handle this?

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

@JML222 wrote:

Thank you all! Unfortunately, I am stuck with the situation that the person filed a 1099 for a Nanny. Any ideas how to handle this?

Disengage?

Or have the client apply for an EIN, amend the 1099 to $0 and issue a W-2.

See Pub 926:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/p926--2022.pdf

Norman2001
Level 7
abctax55
Level 15

I disagree.... you aren't stuck.  Your client created the problem, they need to fix it. Or as suggested, disengage.  Otherwise you'd be signing a return with a known error. 

Do not let client errors/mistakes/disregard for the tax law become 'your' problem.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"