Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High number of rejections R0000-194

thetaxguy305
Level 3

I am experiencing a higher than usual amount of rejections stating that a tax return was already filed for the SSN I am submitting for. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing? This is highly irregular. There has been no breaches in my system so it has to be on the IRS end or Intuit's end. Anyone else?

0 Cheers
13 Comments 13
dkh
Level 15

Are you the only person in your office that submits returns ?  If no, could someone else have already sent the same returns ?

How can you be sure there have been no breaches in your system? 

hankinstax
Level 5

Intuit does have some strengths and one of them is letting you know a return has already been submitted from your system using the same SSN.  Do you have conversion error checking enabled.  I agree with the previous comment as to how you know you have not been victim of a breach?

mdtao31
Level 7

got 2 last yr.they had identity theft. had to snail mail the 2 returns

regards, larry

stay safe

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I agree, a couple that were bounced due to SSN already used, its probably identity theft from outside. But if you are experiencing a high number of rejections due to that, Id hire an IT guy and see whats what ASAP. 

Good luck!!!

thetaxguy305
Level 3

I am the only one that submits returns.

I have an IT dept that monitors all activity on my network. After the high number of rejections I have them run a security audit on my system and it came up clean, no outside source accessed my network or system. 

thetaxguy305
Level 3

Yes I have conversion error checking enabled.

I have an IT dept that monitors all activity on my network. After the high number of rejections I had them run a security audit on my system and it came up clean, no outside source accessed my network or system. 

0 Cheers
thetaxguy305
Level 3

Thanks for your response. I already have an IT dept that monitors my systems and network. A security audit was already performed and it was clean, no outside source accessed my network or system. 

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@thetaxguy305 Thats actually good news then. That is one of my biggest fears. 

In re: to those rejections, I assume you've reached out to the clients and explained where they are at? Most will assume identity theft, especially in this day and age. During the height of COVID, I saw SOOOOO many identity thefts through Illinois Department of Employment Security. Thankfully no ones tax returns were impacted. 

Man, I wish you luck. Keep us abreast. 

thetaxguy305
Level 3

Thank you! I know that Intuit and the IRS have breaches all the time and we never hear about it unfortunately. It is what it is I guess, out of our control. 

0 Cheers
The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@thetaxguy305   what are your data backup procedures?  And who all has access to the backups?  Who else internally has access to your computer?     

thetaxguy305
Level 3

My IT handles all my data backups, have it backed up on my server. IT ran security audit and it's clean, no outside devices or sources accessed the network. No one has access to my computer as I am the only preparer in my office and my wife is the office manager, it's only us two in the office. So I know for sure that nothing occurred here. 

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Have you checked on-line at the IRS website to see how many returns have been filed so far using your PTIN?  I don't know how up-to-date that service is tho.

Perhaps a call to PPS is in order, or the Efile help desk.

IF you've been hacked (I know, you say it isn't possible...) you need to get ahead of this with your E&O carrier.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
dkh
Level 15

Have you considered your IT that handles your backups may be where there's a breach