Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have to file MFJ instead of single. (spouse filed single) How do I file amended return for client before filing MFJ with spouse?

JAID1946
Level 1

We have to file MFJ , married entire year 2022, separated in Jan '23, wife filed single! I have to file her amended return to change statues to MFS or MFJ. Can I file electronically or is paper filing only way?

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
BobKamman
Level 15

No, you do not have to file MFJ, and the wife's action indicates that is something she does not want.  Go ahead and file your client MFS (wife is obviously not your client anymore), and don't lose any sleep over what the wife did.  Her SSN goes on his return but IRS has better things to do than figure out her correct filing status.  

If they get back together, see if it lasts more than a few months, and then file a joint 1040X if they want and if it saves any tax.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Is the wife your client too and wants to amend her single filing to MFJ?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

The wife is obviously a former client if she filed a single return on her own.  Maybe she will return as a future client.  

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

In answer to your question you can efile a 2022 1040x.

0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

For 2023 they should have filed MFJ or MFS…. Results are generally better MFJ but you do need clients cooperation…. Yes you can amend but it will probably be paper file …. (I don’t remember if you can file an amendment with PS for a return you didn’t originally file)

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers