Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good News & Bad

dascpa
Level 11

Grandson born at 4:58am this morning (grandchild #2).  Will have to take time off in 8 days for the Bris.  And wife tested positive for Covid last night.  If she gives it to me, I'm screwed.  Does malpractice cover errors while having a 103 fever?

0 Cheers
35 Comments 35
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Yes. Mazel tov. Wear a mask.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
rcooley25
Level 11

Are you sure it is Malpractice or is it your pain that is talkling?

sjrcpa
Level 15

Congratulations on the grandson. Sorry about your wife.

Ex-AllStar
dkh
Level 15

Congratulations.  Grandbabies are wonderful.   

Commercials say - Have Covid - Get Paxlovid

PATAX
Level 15

Congratulations on the birth of your Grandson.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Congratulations on the new kid in the family.  Start talking to him early about not getting into this profession.

And you are my long lost evil twin.  I run a two CPA firm, with the other CPA being my wife.  She wasn't feeling well on Sunday and thought it was the normal crud that she typically gets shortly after April 15th.  She went to not feeling well to feeling like crap Monday night.  Took a COVID test on Tuesday and it came back positive.  Last night I had a little tickle in my throat and did a little coughing during the night.  I was convinced that she passed it to me but I took a COVID test this morning and it came back negative.  I picked up some more COVID tests this morning to see when she can get out of jail and to see if I can stay out of jail.  She pretty much lives in the office this time of year so we know a client delivered that little present.  If I could figure who it was, they would go from client to ex-client in about 12 seconds.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN hope your wife is feeling better. I caught it last year during tax season and it was not nice. That is why we try to limit interaction with clients but some of these morons can't just drop the forms off and go . They want to talk and talk and talk like they have diarrhea of the mouth . They just can't figure it out or they are just plain selfish and don't care about anybody but themselves. I think it is the latter.

dascpa
Level 11

My wife avoids my office like the plague.  Now I'm avoiding her since she has the plague.  Actually if my wife and I worked together we'd probably kill each other.  I give you credit.

IRonMaN
Level 15

The situation works out well.  If one of us needs something from the other, there never is a problem wondering where the other one is -------------------- all you have to do is sit at your desk and shout.😁

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Sharing the office works well when there is a good division of labor.  Obviously, in this case IronWoman does the returns while IronMan takes care of the message boards.

But Covid is a serious matter, especially for those born during the Eisenhower Administration or earlier.  Some days I think I have a death wish, now that I am doing office appointments with clients who share their anti-vaxxer mentality with me.  (One couple, in their 80s, both spent more than a month in the hospital last year but managed to survive.)  I look at the weekly figures for Covid deaths in Arizona, and compare it to plane crashes.  For a while, it was the equivalent of a 787.  Now we range from a DC-3 to a DC-6.  And almost all the victims are 65 or older.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

@dascpa  I wish you better luck than me - I tested positive.  Nice way to start a Saturday morning 

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

Oh no!!!  So sorry.  

Daughter had it last week - felt like crap for two days, tired for two more and now just lingering stuffiness.

Wife feels like crap but it's only been 36 hours.

I wish you the best of luck.  Wrong timing.  Ask IRS for emergency extension on Form 4868-Covid.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Sorry to hear this Jeff. I hope you and your wife get well soon.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

I don’t feel too bad and my wife is feeling better.  There is nobody in our office building on the weekends so we are going in to the office.  I’ll work there for a couple of days and then box up returns and work from home during the week.  I told my step daughter the other day that I have spent three years avoiding people when I should just have been avoiding my wife🤷‍♂️

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

I hope you have a mild case of Covid.  

Speedy recovery to you and your better half 😁

IRonMaN
Level 15

Thanks!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Call your doctor immediately for a prescription of Paxlovid, then take as directed.  Your recovery is more important than meeting some artificial deadline that can easily be extended.  If your clients can't wait until you are healthy, you need new clients.  

BobKamman
Level 15

Paxlovid must be started within 5 days of symptom onset.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't really feel too bad so I don't think I need to take any medication.  I am doing a little coughing and sneezing and my nose is running --------- no worse than a common cold at this point.  I'm planning on being over it by tomorrow anyway.  Whether my body agrees with that or not, we shall see 😁

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Lots of people who felt only moderate symptoms on a Saturday were dead by Sunday.  Covid is a deadly disease, treat it with respect.  And treat yourself with even more.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Thanks!

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN Iron Man first time I caught covid I took dosages of vitamin C, zinc, and vitamin D3. This knocked it out real quick. This was before it was I believe announced that these three apparently help with covid-19. It worked for me. And I didn't have my first shot at that time.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I've had my shots and boosters, which I'm glad I did.  Thanks for the info.

Slava Ukraini!
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Feel better Jeff, hear of  lots of mild cases… hope yours is too. Have an (in case) rx of Paxlovid sitting on the shelf… managed to avoid Covid so far and agree with @PATAX . Been taking lots of d3, c and zinc for the last few years…

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
dascpa
Level 11

My wife who has Covid right now works for an MD who does not regularly prescribe Paxlovid due to the frequent recurrence of Covid of people who've taken that Rx.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I've prescribed myself a bag of Dove chocolate to combat COVID.  It seems to be fairly effective so far 😃

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

OK... everyone that's sick....  Step away from the desk & take care of yourself.  NO client is worth it; they'll be there when you get better, or they won't.  And good riddance if they aren't.

I'm still masking in the office (sorta COVID, sorta the fact I don't even want a cold, sorta because of John's lung issues).  Client opens the door to drop off, and says to my office manager (who is masked, for MY sake)  "Take that thing off".  He got out of the parking lot before I could get to him, but the email telling him to come retrieve his paperwork was sent within minutes.  There were subsequent "pseudo" apologizing emails.  Decision is still pending on when he'll be fired.  

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

Good for you!

Slava Ukraini!
rcooley25
Level 11

I know that I had a hissy fit earlier and said you would not hear from me again but I could not resist saying something about all of this. You want a cure for covid? Then drink more fireball.

IRonMaN
Level 15

For some strange reason, I knew you were going to say that.

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

Or drink more Fireball as a preventive measure.

rcooley25
Level 11

It works every time. Thats why when I drink it I drink the whole bottle, Please note I did not say what size the bottle is.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Anna,

What an ass of an ex-client!

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

Susan... yep.   I'm still SMH over it.  And in this small town, word gets around.  Karma & all 🙂

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
rcooley25
Level 11

I am glad you added the word ex client. For a brief moment I thought you were talking about me.