Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 8962. How do I access Lines 12-23?

Greta
Level 9

IRS rejected Form 8962 which I incorrectly did as an annual calculation. Premium had changed midyear. How do I access monthly lines 12-23?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

it pulls those from the 1095A, are all the amounts in Column A the same? 

maybe change one month up by a dollar, then another month down by a dollar, that should make all the individual lines fill in but the annual total stay the same.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
12 Comments 12
dkh
Level 15

Looks like the answers to Line 9 and Line 10 triggers the Monthly option

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I dont understand,  you didnt use the 1095A worksheet to fill in each month?

0 Cheers
Greta
Level 9

I filled out 1095A as presented: Halfway through 1095 client paid full premium, subsidies ceased. Form 1095 filled Column A thru to December. Columns B and C were BLANK past the ceased subsidy. I entered it just like that but it glowed red. I tried to enter zeroes but that glowed red. The only way it stopped glowing red is that I entered columns A and B thru December, and indicated in Column C as zero subsidy when subsidies stopped. This was accurate as to what happened. But client got an IRS letter saying I must enter it monthly in lines 12-23 because premiums had changed midway. I can't access lines 12-23. Question 10 (per other response by community) also can't be accessed. How do I get there? I had never done a monthly entry before, would be lost without software guidance.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Column B you would get from the healthcare.gov tax tool, then I think you just leave column C blank

https://www.healthcare.gov/tax-tool/#/

dkh
Level 15

Don't you need to lookup the amount for Column B at  Health Insurance Marketplace ? 

Edit-   my program takes too long to open up the Reply box to answer before Lisa ......lol

0 Cheers
Greta
Level 9

That's precisely how I efiled it. IRS responded by requiring lines 12-23 (monthly info) filled out. I'm wondering how I can access those lines, which can't even be overriden. Where is the entry to them? Question 10 would help, but I can't access that either nor can I override it.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

it pulls those from the 1095A, are all the amounts in Column A the same? 

maybe change one month up by a dollar, then another month down by a dollar, that should make all the individual lines fill in but the annual total stay the same.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The IRS is stupid.

If the SLCSP did not change throughout the year, as Lisa said, you can just add or subtract $1 for one month in column A of the 1095-A.

However, I would ALSO include a VERY NASTY LETTER to the IRS with a photocopy of the Instructions that indicate that line 10 should be "YES" (and therefore lines 12-23 should not be filled out) and they should be following their own Instructions rather than wasting the taxpayer's time.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8962#en_US_2022_publink1000305196

Greta
Level 9

It worked! Changing one dollar in Form 1095 got me into Form 8962 Part II that was closed to me before! Thank you! I had to provide Part II per IRS letter to finish the efiling. Forms 1095 and 8962 are my nemesis.

Greta
Level 9

I'm still so impressed how you figured out the puzzle of how to enter line 10 in Form 8962? I screwed around with it for at least an hour. Just curious how you solved the puzzle of getting in? It was a waste of time that did not change a single dollar of tax. A poorly designed form.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As the link I gave you shows, the IRS Instructions tell you to use Line 11 if (1) column A of the 1095-A is all the same for the entire year and (2) column B of the 1095-A is the same for the entire year.  And it says to use 12-23 if they are not all the same.  So you just need to make them 'not the same' to trigger lines 12-23.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I had one with a similar letter last year, thats how I got it to fill in the months.

0 Cheers