Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 8915 - How to Identify Clients Who Elected to Spread the IRA Distribution over 3 years

Ephesians3-14
Level 8

When I prepared the 2020 tax returns, I know that I had 3-4 clients who elected the 3-year spread.

But darned if I remember who they were. Is there a query I can run to find those 3-4 clients to make sure I don't forget the 2022/2023 IRA distributions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ephesians3-14
Level 8

OK - I figured out a work around to identify those clients who elected to spread the Corona-virus distribution over 3 years.

IN the 2020 software, set up a custom view. Select the TOTAL IRA, TAXABLE IRA AND TAXPAYER AGE fields. Then visually scroll down by age and compare the total TAXABLE IRA column to the TOTAL IRA column. That way I was able to identify all of my clients who made this election.

Sure would be nice though to just have a query. I had one client who I already filed his return, so I have some crow I have to eat with him. 

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
TAXOH
Level 11

I don't believe so, because I checked because I wanted to know too. That was when I was not busy.  I never did find it and it was when I had time and tax season had not begun yet and I never was able to find it.  Good luck to you!

Ephesians3-14
Level 8

OK - I figured out a work around to identify those clients who elected to spread the Corona-virus distribution over 3 years.

IN the 2020 software, set up a custom view. Select the TOTAL IRA, TAXABLE IRA AND TAXPAYER AGE fields. Then visually scroll down by age and compare the total TAXABLE IRA column to the TOTAL IRA column. That way I was able to identify all of my clients who made this election.

Sure would be nice though to just have a query. I had one client who I already filed his return, so I have some crow I have to eat with him. 

Tax Man Tan
Level 4

How does this work for you? I'm not sure if i missed something but i created a custom view, showing total IRA, Taxable IRA, and taxpayer age. A client I knew took a distribution that we put on 2020 8915E and spread over 3 years, is showing zero's in both total IRA, and taxable IRA column. Am I missing something here?

On another note, how does pro series not automatically transfer this figure over? What a joke.

PJP
Level 2

Same.  The Total does show up if there was an amount on line a.  All partially taxable distributions from IRA and Pensions will have an amount on line a - so if it shows $0, the client did not do the deferral.

I also realized that some of the distributions were from pensions, so I added columns for Total Pensions and Taxable Pensions as well. 

Sorted by amount. It is easier to see those where the taxable is less than the Total.

acuny
Level 3

Also add Total Pensions and Taxable Pensions. Then, sort by Total IRAs and compare to Taxable IRAs (you will/may find some) and then sort by Total Pensions (you will/may find more). Of course, not every distribution came from an IRA. You are of course, looking for a Taxable amount that is 1/3 of the Total amount. This was a very useful workaround. Thanks. 

0 Cheers