Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

form 1116, schedule b attachement issue

rivkah
Level 3

Hello Everyone,

I hope your tax seasons are going well for you.

But, I am having an issue:

I keep getting a reject trying to e/f a couple of tax returns.  Each of these returns has foreign tax credit, used in 2022 as well as a portion carried forward.

But each time I tried to file the error says " foreign tax carryback or over amt" has a non-zero value, then a binary attachement with description "form 1116 schedule b much be attached to foreign tax cr carryback or forward..."

It them lists error resolution as saying to include via pdf form 1116 schedule b.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong and how to fix this?

Or should I just print the return out and mail it?

Thank you in advance for you kind assistiance with this matter.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Intuit_hieu
Employee
Employee

@rivkah seem like the steps from @IRonMaN are correct. Did you print the schedule B to PDF & attach it as type '1116' to the return before efiling?

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

Print the schedule B to pdf.  Then click e-file and "attach pdf".  Select the pdf you just printed and then for the form, click on the 1116 sch B choice. 

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Theres an old guy EA in town that uses ProSeries, Ive walked him through attaching that dang 1116B over the phone 6 times in the last 2 weeks....he just cant get the hang of it. 

I think this year has finally done him in, hes gonna retire.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
rivkah
Level 3

This is exactly what I have tried a couple times with two different clients.  I tried it again... and .... guess what this time it worked... fingers crossed.

rivkah
Level 3

Okay... tried this, actually a couple times, but still not working. Did everything correctly and still not working.  Very Strange.

I will be printing it out and mailing it. 

Too bad post offices are not longer open until midnight on the 18th.  Part of me really misses the sprint to the post office in the middle of the night.  The local one used to give out doughnuts and coffee.

0 Cheers
Intuit_hieu
Employee
Employee

@rivkah seem like the steps from @IRonMaN are correct. Did you print the schedule B to PDF & attach it as type '1116' to the return before efiling?

0 Cheers
rivkah
Level 3

Yes I did.  From the efile homebase, the attachment icon is present, so I know I did it correctly, but still getting error message and reject.  I have gone back over the 1116 and found nothing.  The error/rejection message only appears to say that I need to attach 1116 when efiling --- which I have done.

One of the client's return is not that big of a deal, being only for the federal.  But the other files in multiple states which require the federal return as part of their filing. So... before the 18th, I will be printing a 1/2 ream of paper and making that mad dash to the post office.  

Thankfully, my local post office does have a kiosk from which I can puchase postage (postmark) and mail stuff in the middle of the night.  

0 Cheers
rivkah
Level 3

UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!

Thank you @Intuit_hieu!!!!

Yep, I did almost everything correctly.  Your response mentioned "type 1116", it was the one thing that I kept skipping without realizing it.  It defaulted to "other".  Once I changed it, surprise surprise --- ACCEPTED!!!!!

I need a nap.