Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed Asset Manager - Transfer 5 clients from FAM to another firm also using FAM. Is this possible?

Taxes-by-Rocky
Level 7

Has anyone attempted to transfer client files in FAM to another accounting firm also using FAM?

Technically, it's not another accounting firm.  Client would like to be able to purchase FAM and maintain their own fixed asset database going forward.  [Yes, we're bringing Intuit a new customer.]  The Export/Import function is not exactly robust enough to transfer all bases of accounting for each fixed asset (i.e., Fed, AMT, state, book/GAAP, E&P, etc.), and all underlying data with respect to each asset (of which there may be a few hundred).  There are a few client files that are at issue and would be transferred, and no one wants to re-key punch all of the underlying information.....albeit a last resort.

Anyone had experience attempting such a file transfer in the past?  I don't know if it matters for FAM but the new client will have a new PS customer ID number, etc..  Thank you in advance.

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't use FAM, but can't you just make a copy of the client data file and then have them restore it on their computer?

Slava Ukraini!
Taxes-by-Rocky
Level 7

It's funny.  It's not like the type of program with back-up and restore features.  It's more like the Control C / Control V from within DOS.  Hence, I figured I would see if anyone else might have had success before me.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You don't need backup and restore if you know where the client data file gets tucked away.  If you find the data file all you have to do is copy and paste.

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

FAM is different than Proseries tax files.  FAM creates a folder for each client and then 10 files within that folder.  The second issue is you don't have anything similar to a HomeBase TuneUp in FAM like you do in Proseries.

The easiest way is to get the prior year FAM folder and files into the prior year FAM directory.  Then in the current year do a transfer of only that client(s).

FAM is a forgotten product by Intuit (wait, aren't all of them).  It could be so much more powerful with a few tweaks.