Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIX the Trial Balance Setup link! Updates killed the link ~ 1~2 weeks ago (from 3/11/23).

MrMojo
Level 3

Some of us who use the Business programs use the Trial Balance import feature.

Very fewer of us still use "ATB for Windows" but it still works and makes life easier! Some people may export their accounting records as an spread

Right now, as o 3/11/23, the current updates Killed the automatic update link!

It used to work literally ~2~3 weeks ago in late Feb/early March.

Now, when you enter the client's corp return, an error pops up, something like.. "Error: unable to update link to file."

It then freezes Proseries so that you must use Ctrl+Alt+Del to shut down Proseries. Then go to ATB, backup the client's file, remove it then reenter Proseries and then go to.. Import.. UNCHECK "Automatically update client when import file changes."

So now we must finalize the ATB client file and now must MANUALLY REMOVE the links in the Proseries client's business return and MANUALLY RE-ENTER everything from scratch! THIS SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS BY DOING THINGS MANUALLY!!

WTH happened, Proseries?!

Tell your software engineers to fix that darn automatic update link. It's a simple 'link' and has NO calculation involved as the software updates the returns' information when the accounting information is updated. That's it!

7 Comments 7
jhowellcpa
Level 3

This is ridiculous...a week later and still no fix...between not attaching the 7203 to waiting for the form to report the 3 year deferral of COVID IRA withdrawals every year...and now this. This is the final straw for me...

0 Cheers
sonnypsu
Level 3

We are having the same issue.  It's killing our tax season and we're loosing money by the day.  We literally can not do our work.  I have files that can no longer be manually changed and saved.  They are useless.

PLEASE HELP US!

0 Cheers
Rowtax1
Level 3

The trial balance import is really hosed this year....

I used to make a copy of the prior trial balance, go into the new trial balance, close the year and then enter data into the new year trial balance and go into proseries client, and point to the new trial balance, but that now freezes up the program...Badly....but as a work around, I don't change where the trial balance is imported from....I continue to use the same trial balance (ATBWU) and simply close that year, enter in the new data and import from there.. A couple of times, I found I had made an error on my journal entries and when I tried to re-import, it locked up again....So, I simply re-transferred the proseries client file from 2021 into 2022 and then imported the trial balance again...So...that worked for me....So, I am still using ATBWU.

Let me know by responding if that works for you.

0 Cheers
Brian F
Level 3

The import from Thomson Reuters Accounting CS is also crashing. The automatic import starts up when I try to open the client and crashes the program. Now I can't even open the ProSeries program. I guess I will start with restarting the computer.

MrMojo
Level 3

"So, I simply re-transferred the proseries client file from 2021 into 2022 and then imported the trial balance again...So...that worked for me....So, I am still using ATBWU."

So your workaround appears to be to re-transfer the prior year's file into 2022, again, and see it re-established the link.

Sounds like some sort of program or file corruption which Intuit ProSeries refuses to fix, considering it's just a file linkage issue as it has No other practical purposes like number calculation.

Guess Intuit has finally decided NOT to support the file link anymore!

It was one of the top reasons to continue with ProSeries as some of us still use ATB for Windows!

Concentrating on individual files now but will use your suggestion later.

Thanks!

Rowtax1
Level 3

Yes....but let's remember that ATBtenkey  is a software company that recreated ATBWU and uses the same file format....therefore, Intuit/Proseries should continue to support this trial balance import.  Heck...the code has worked great for 20 plus years and should be easy to continue

0 Cheers
sonnypsu
Level 3

It doesn't matter if you use ATB.  We use Workpapers CS which a new and supported trial balance program and frequently updated.  It exports the same type of file that ATB does.  We have the same linking issue/errors/crashes.  ProSeries just screwed the pooch on tax year 2022 for all up firms that rely on the linking to help speed up the data entry for our corporate returns.

My workaround has been to clean up the tax return of all simple check box errors, change any data related to shareholders/members, etc. and then save it. I do that for the federal and state returns.  Then I import my fixed assets and clean those up because you know ProSeries doesn't carry over the state data from their stand alone FAM.  Save the return again.

Then I make sure to uncheck automatic update.  Save again.  Then select the 22 import file.  Now if the linking goes haywire I at least don't have to start from scratch.  All I loose is the 22 linking.  Also if I start to link and notice I forgot an entry or posted an entry wrong then I can just exit the tax return without saving it.  Fix my TB, export it again and start the 22 linking over.  It's the best workaround that I've come up with.

On top of being CPAs now we have to be IT too with this program.  25+ year customer.  It's very sad that it's come to this.