Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIREFIGHTERS MEALS

suedemastus
Level 1

CAN FIREFIGHTERS STILL DEDUCT MEALS ON STATE

0 Cheers
20 Comments 20
IRonMaN
Level 15

You must be asking about a state a long way from Minnesota since you have to shout so loud.

Slava Ukraini!
taxes96786
Level 9

Check Pub 17

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

What is that going to provide for a specific state?

Slava Ukraini!
hankinstax
Level 5

Nope.  I found this out at audit.  This applies on the assumption he works on one and off two.  If he works two in a row, he can take one day but has to have documentation.  Day one counts 1/2, day two counts 1/2.  This has been many years ago so you may want to look at something more recent.

taxes96786
Level 9

you can only deduct meals if the fire station has a common mess fund that you are required to contribute to whether you're at the station for every meal or not.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You can confirm that none of the states allow some kind of break for meals for firefighters?

Slava Ukraini!
suedemastus
Level 1

THANK YOU ALL IM I VA 

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

You enter on applicable line on 1040 it should automatically transfer to state.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
And where would that be?

Slava Ukraini!
taxes96786
Level 9

I don't do other preparers research. You have been doing taxes with PS long enough to figure this out.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

But that doesn't seem to be stopping you from giving bad advice.  And I do have enough figured out that there is no place to put a deduction for firefighter's meals on a federal return.  But since I don't prepare VA returns, I don't know if they allow the deduction and if they did, where you would put those dollars.  But if they do allow the deduction, I'm sure that could be found somewhere in the state's instructions.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

"..... in the state's instructions."

Really, I thought Laura said to look in Pub 17....    /S

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
taxes96786
Level 9

Like I said, I would research IRS to see whether it is still allowed.  It used to be employee business expense which the Congress eliminated. With all the changes re Sch A, the standard deduction would probably be what IRS deems to cover the expense.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

It was a State question.  Why do you keep bouncing back to the federal return?

Slava Ukraini!
taxes96786
Level 9

Just so you know, many of my posts are done to make preparers do their own research before posting what should be SOP questions.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

But you keep telling them to research the federal instead of their state.  Maybe you could try to be less helpful in the future.

Slava Ukraini!
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Looks like VA conforms to federal law, no itemized deduction for W2 employee's. Could be a deduction from income, but you will have to research that, but here is the link. https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title58.1/chapter3/section58.1-322.02/#v1/

abctax55
Level 15

"....what should be SOP questions."

So you are saying it is SOP to search  *federal * Pubs for answers to state questions? 

Really?

( Generic Comment )"
taxes96786
Level 9

But deductions on Sch A transfer to the State. If State doesn't allow the deduction then you need to make an adjustment on the State return. Most States have accepted IRS rules in several areas. If you want to know whether you can deduct it on a State return....read the instructions.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

"....read the instructions.

I 100% agree - but read the *state* instructions, not Pub 17.

( Generic Comment )"