Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing Separate MFS state returns when Federal is filed MFJ

SchindlerTax
Level 2

I have a client who filed MFJ on the federal return but wants to file MFS on the state, because it's more favorable. The state allows this but I can't find a way to do it inside the software. Does anyone know how to navigate this? 

11 Comments 11
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
which state?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

If the state allows you will have to create a 2nd return within ProSeries.  First, after completing joint Federal go to File Menu and elect to split into MFS.  This will keep the original data file and create two new one (TP) and (SP).  You can either have one file for joint and two other files for state or on the joint file you can get rid of the spouse's data in the state.  Either way verify for accuracy as some things may need to be corrected (who claims what child, split of charity, etc., etc.).

SchindlerTax
Level 2

New York

0 Cheers
SchindlerTax
Level 2

I split the return but don't know how to efile the two MFS returns. I efiled the Federal already. I was planning to mail the split MFS returns but they're for New York and I just read that paper filing a New York return prepared using software will result in preparer penalties. Is there a way to efile the split New York returns? 

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

No issue.  You can e-file a separate state-only return.  Just don't click on the Federal portion of that return to e-file. Done it many times in MD, PA and other states.

SchindlerTax
Level 2

Hello again. Thanks for your previous reply. I'm ready to efile but get an error inside ProSeries since the Federal return was previously filed. I only checked the box to efile NY as a state-only return but the system won't let me file without a valid Federal return to accompany. Do you have a workaround? How do I separate and only file NY, beyond checking the box for NY only? 

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Open the federal MFJ return. Uncheck the federal efile box. DON'T WORRY. Save and close. 

Open and efile MFS. The duplicate SSN error goes away. Efile.

Open MFJ. Re-check efile box.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
SchindlerTax
Level 2

That worked! Thank you so much!!

Accountant-Man
Level 13

YW.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
Jbwvufan1
Level 1

I have decesed primary taxpayer who died 12/22 and in PA you have to do seperate state returns.  How do you, after doing MFJ federal, do seperate states? 

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

Use the split return feature from HomeBase (Go to file, then Split MFJ Return).  Create and file the separate state returns and in the original return only file the Federal.  Bottom line, you'll have three returns.

0 Cheers