Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extensions for State Returns

Good morning, and it's MONDAY!! 😉  

Simple question here from an Extension novice who has now submitted three over the weekend.

Just double-checking the I am understanding correctly, if I file for a Federal extension, is the state (Michigan) automatically filed? The system does not appear to allow me to check that box, only Federal, and all appears to be well without any errors, but just want to be sure my tired brain is deciphering the directions correctly.

p.s. My client that owes pushing 30k is asking how long he has to pay that? My answer is how long do you want to pay interest/penalties but....... is there some sort of outer limit to get it done before the IRS takes collections to the next step? 

Thank you!!!! 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

An extension of time to file the federal return automatically extends the time to file the Michigan return to the new federal due date.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

An extension of time to file the federal return automatically extends the time to file the Michigan return to the new federal due date.

Thank you!! That takes a big load of my mind today to know that!  

Have a great day. 🙂 

dkh
Level 15

"p.s. My client that owes pushing 30k is asking how long he has to pay that? My answer is how long do you want to pay interest/penalties but....... is there some sort of outer limit to get it done before the IRS takes collections to the next step?"

If the tax return has been submitted without a payment IRS will send a notice for payment with a due date.  If the client doesn't pay by the due date another letter will go out....etc etc    Your client will know based on those letters when IRS is ready to take collection action.

abctax55
Level 15

A very useful Intuit resource regarding state extensions:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/state-tax-forms/state-extension-due-date-in...

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"