Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension 1120S - extra infomration required in 2023

DLH-WAK
Level 1

Why for Tax Year 2023 is it necessary to fill out the # of  W2's associated with an 1120S before you can file an automatic extension?  That information does not transfer to any line on an extension.

20 Comments 20
IRonMaN
Level 15

You need to get in line to complain.  A number of folks have already voiced their displeasure over that.

Slava Ukraini!
Intuit_Ruben

Thanks for the idea to allow filling of an automatic 1120s extension without requiring the amount of associated W2's. We are changing the status to "Open for voting".

Continue to vote and comment on enhancements by going to the Idea Exchange Home page and select "Status": Open for voting, "Sort by": Most Popular. >>  ProSeries Idea Exchange

If you have any questions on the life cycle of an idea, check out our Idea Exchange Getting Started Guide for more information.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Ruben - you don't need to have a formal vote.  Just add every preparer that pays for a business package and they will all agree on the idea.

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

why should we have to vote for something like this.  Just change the program!!!!!!

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

# of W2s filed for an S Corp is way down on the list of information that I, MYSELF, even care about, much less being one of the initial tidbits of info I search for.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
KR1
Level 2

Absolutely Unacceptable. 4 days before due date. 1120S and 1065. Number of W-2's and Prior income needed to file Extensions. We do not have that info. Any info thus the need for extension. It is not required by IRS. Tech says to plug in any number. They are suggesting filing a false return. But wait it is not required by IRS. WHY Then? Am I going to need to print from my $7000 Software and Mail Certified Mail for my volume of Extensions?  - Long Term Proseries user - 1996

KR1
Level 2

Every year I close down for two days to prepare for 1120S & 1065 Extensions. IT IS THE BIGGEST CONCERN A HAVE. HUGE PENALTIES!  Now I have to CLOSE DOWN AGAIN TO ENTER WRONG W-2 and PRIOR YEAR INFO TO FILE EXTESIONS AND THEN GO BACK AND DELETE SAID INFO TO ENTER CORRECT INFO THAT IRS DOES ACTUALLY CROSS CHECK ON ACTUAL RETURN - Long Term Proseries user - 1996

DLH-WAK
Level 1

OK...backdoor hack to the problem....if you turn off the efile for the return and only leave the efile for the extension you can bypass the bothersome need to fill out the w2 info 

The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@DLH-WAK  Thanks for the heads up.

@Intuit_Ruben   The 2022 PS 1120-S module worked ok for filing extensions.  The 2023 PS 1120-S is not working properly for filing extensions.  

Requiring 2023 PS 1120-S software users to vote to fix a programming error is not a good look for Intuit.  Just state that Intuit will not fix the programming error anytime soon.  Just one more thing that needs to be fixed someday when you can get around to it.

IntuitGabi

Thanks all. 
Moved out of the Idea Exchange and looking into this.

bturner44
Employee
Employee

Please note that providing the number of employee W-2s issued for 2023 is not a mandatory requirement when electronically filing an extension. The W-2 error usually appears when the "original return" checkbox and the "extension" checkbox are both checked at the same time (under the "Choose which Returns to be Filed Electronically" section). If you uncheck the "original return" checkbox, you should be able to electronically file your extension without being prompted to enter any W-2 information. Its also worth noting that the program behaved the same way last year.  We  hope this information is helpful.

LRobinson
Level 1

I agree.  Intuit has really lost touch with all sense of customer service.  This will be the last year I pay for this program.  While you are at it please fix the foreign address issue on form W-2G.  Ridiculous that the program has this many issues right before a tax deadline.

IRonMaN
Level 15

The W2G issue was fixed earlier.  Run an update or run "repair updates" if you are still having the issue.

Slava Ukraini!
ajcpa
Level 3

This another stupid requirement precluding electronic filing even when you uncheck the verification box when efiling extension.   Again an example of the continued incompetency at Intuit Proseries.

0 Cheers
ajcpa
Level 3

I am in the same boat  and have way too many extension to input w-2 data assuming I have it.   If I do not find a solution by early morning, I will also be mailing a large number of extensions certified.

One needs to remind me why I pay for a professional product that continues to lack efficiencies for real professionals and has programmers and managers that should be fired!!

0 Cheers
ajcpa
Level 3

There are a number errors in 2023 programs that are not errors and our in ability to have a product work correctly is very sad and it would be nice if Management would listen to real professionals and to ensure thru beta and alpha testing should be done before a product is released.

ajcpa
Level 3

I looked at Idea Exchange but did not see it.

Not sure why we have to vote to correct clearly a programming error that impacts thousand of professional tax prepares.   Intuit should fix it, they created the problem and has not occurred in the past.

There is an old saying, if it is not broken, do not fix it

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You don't have to enter W2 info.  Just uncheck the box indicating that the actual return is being e-filed and check the box only for the extension.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@IntuitGabi 

Ok, this issue remains unresolved for PS23 1065/1120S extensions.  Can you please send it up the chain so that this issue gets fixed in the present time if only for PS24's sake?   

Even though you can uncheck the [__] EFile box and only check the [__] Extension box there were still some gremlins flaring up in this approach.  With the 1065/1120S returns with a Schedule F present [rolled over from PS22] I was still forced to go into 1065/1120S Schedule F and check the material participation box of Schedule F and fill in the Schedule F, line 30 lines that rolled over from PS22 before I could successfully file a 1065/1120S Extension. Yeah, I have no idea why either.

DO NOT LET THIS GO.  GET IT FIXED. 

KR1
Level 2

Enough. Long-term ProSeries veteran here. ProSeries user since the 1990s. …Original QuickBooks Proadvisor Program .

You Mailed boxes and boxes of propaganda in the 1990s-2000. Sent me ten-year buttons.

Completely shut my office down to facilitate this mess March 15, 2024. Ken Rumberger CPA… An Original ProSeries user from the beginning.

Mailed all extensions, Certified Mail to cover your ass.

Sirs and Ladies,  you have failed me in a major way.

Intuit…. look up my record. Original users. Pro advisor program 1990s. QuickBooks Version 1.0  5 1/4 Floppy. Remember those?

Need I say more.

0 Cheers