Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040x

momma1
Level 3

i filed a tax return for a client, e-filed the return and it was accepted.  The Client owed Federal Taxes.  My client returned and we had to revise their return so a 1040X was created.  Now they will receive a refund.  Since the original return has been received and accepted, Do they send the payment voucher for the original return or e-file the 1040X to override the original return. 

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

Did the client pay anything with the original filing?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
momma1
Level 3

No they have the voucher but have not sent the payment as of yet.  

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Then send a check for the revised total amount due on the revised return.

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

I had to do one of these last year and it was weird all around.  Try setting it up to submit a superseding return instead of an amended return.  Or manually adjust the "amount paid with original return" on the 1040X (or whatever you need to plug into Line 16 to make the math work right).

momma1
Level 3

Sorry, with the revision they will receive a refund. They do not owe. Do they still not send monies for the first return filed or will the revision be recognized and reverse the payment due on the original.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

I wouldn't send money if they don't owe.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If they didnt make the original payment, make sure youve figured that into the amendment, it may think that payment was made, thats why they've got a refund.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪