Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

excludable compensation from W-2 wages

osc7
Level 1

A client who is a police officer & was injured while on duty, received a letter from the the city that read as follows.

The amount identified below as EXCLUDABLE COMPENSATION is in lieu of workmans compensation and is excludable from income as per IRS Technical Advice Memorandum TR 32-153-91.

The form then shows the gross amount of W-2 wages he received while injured, which is included in box 1 of the W-2; it then shows the amount that should be deducted as excludable.

I can't find where to put that info in the W-2 worksheet.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
IntuitAustin
Intuit Alumni
Thank you for your question! Since this is a tax advice question, we’ve moved it to our product discussions board for discussion among your peers.

Cheers!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Did that come from the City of Chicago, by any chance?  I'm not asking because a lot of Chicago police officers were injured last year, but because there's an example of the notice online:

https://dqjghx1vau0u.cloudfront.net/uploads/assets/30690/original.pdf?1454507714

At the bottom it says to attach the notice to the tax return.  

The city probably does not want to issue a corrected W-2 because they use the Box 1 amount for other purposes, like calculating pension benefits.  And I'm guessing that its public-safety workers are covered by Social Security, so there are no amounts in Boxes 3 and 5. 

Others have asked the question online and the answer has been to subtract it out on Schedule 1, Line 8, as a negative number for "other income."  I don't think that's the best solution, but it's probably the only one for now. 

That TAM number does not exist -- maybe it has been renumbered, or obsoleted.