Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Message Deduction Other State Taxes

GeorgiaRe Tired
Level 3

I have a client that had summer work in California.  The amount is under $19K, the requirement to file 540NR (non resident).  On her state return for Georgia, there is a deduction for Other State taxes paid, BUT the software is requiring an attached PDF of the other states return.  I went to efile and attached an empty 540NR PDF trying to fake out the software but the error won't disappear.

When running Return errors, it shows this error in the Information Worksheet, when I click "Go To Item", nothing happens.

Would you file the 540NR for California anyway??

.I solved the error.  During the attachment of the PDF there is a drop down menu to specify it is Other Tax.  

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

You are taking credit for taxes paid.  They really aren't paid if a return isn't filed.  

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

If you are taking a credit for taxes paid to another state, you need to actually file a return for that state to get that credit.

Slava Ukraini!
GeorgiaRe Tired
Level 3

Even if you don't meet the filing requirement?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You are taking credit for taxes paid.  They really aren't paid if a return isn't filed.  

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

If they are below the CA filing requirement, they may be entitled to a full refund and there won't be a credit.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You DO have a filing requirement if you made $19,000 in California.  CA will be expecting a tax return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪