Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Encountered Improper Argument

lfcpa
Level 3

I am now receiving this message after importing QB data. (We have the Network version and store our data on a shared server) -"Encountered Improper Argument".

Once I receive this message, I cannot do anything else and it crashes my program. Last season, QB import continually created issues. Other CPA's in my area are having similar issues so I believe it is a Proseries problem. Not sure how to resolve.

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
qbteachmt
Level 15

Is that a Desktop file? A QBO file converted first to Desktop?

One thing I am seeing a lot is improper naming of QB files. People from "old school" days remember when it was 8 characters DOT 3 characters. That's why you see .qbw filetype. But the Filename part, which is no longer limited to 8 characters, still should not have punctuation and worse, more Dots.

Smith, Jones and Summer, Inc..qbw <== can be a problem

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Purvi322
Level 2

I am having the same issue. I have a network version also. I am not using QB. 

lfcpa
Level 3

That is good to know. This just started and I know we recently received a new update.

0 Cheers
Tom in PVB
Level 1

this is not network version and have not downloaded QuickBooks data

I was doing a error report .

return said all is well

the it pop up with this error encounter an improper argument .

then it freeze until i close the screen

i have tried shut down and restart it is still happening

Any Ideas are greatly appreciated.

0 Cheers
m5859
Level 2

Hello Brayan,

I Checked for window updates today and it shows the UpToDate status, but still facing the same issue of Improper arguments.

Is it something holding the soliton to this problem?

0 Cheers
Tom in PVB
Level 1

still not solved why no response for months?

Your support wants me to pay to access prior years return believe this is illegal

l  need to speak with someone right away!

904-253-0987 tom carroll

0 Cheers
m5859
Level 2

I had the same problem and it looks to me that I passed that problem as new updates from microsoft cleared that.

But now I could not restore my Individual Tax Clients data since then . It always shows mismatch on homebase and on every run to fix it the result shows that is fixed but files never gets restored, spent at least three hours with the agent last week and she blamed the computer that due to storage space on my computer, files can't be restored which is very upsetting as per my IT Guy my computer has more than 40% space free.

This is very frustrating ever since September and October deadline of last year 

0 Cheers