Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eligible to be Claimed As A Dependent on Another Return - State Considerations

troy
Level 3

I am completing a tax return in ProSeries for a kid / dependent.

I have completed all entries in the return, and there are no errors. Same with the state (IL).

The only income is $11,700 of W-2 income.

However, I randomly thought it would be a good idea to check the 2 boxes on the federal return:

-Can the taxpayer be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return? (yes)

-Was the taxpayer claimed (yes)?

When I check these boxes, the Illinois income tax is increased, as the Illinois exemption is not allowed for a taxpayer who can be claimed as a dependent on another return.

I find it a bit concerning that these check boxes listed above were not prompted as errors.

Can someone assist with what I may not be considering / may have done wrong?

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

How would the software know/think they are claimed as a dependent by someone unless you tell it?

Maybe in the future AI will know.

Ex-AllStar
troy
Level 3

I would think that it should be part of the IF > THEN logic in the software.

I enter the birth date of the taxpayer, which should trigger the IF > THEN to determine if the taxpayer was claimed as a dependent.

I would think that once the birth date is entered, if it is within the potential age range to be claimed as a dependent, the software should prompt this check box as an error.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Good idea.

You could add it to the Idea Exhange black hole https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-idea-exchange/idb-p/603

Ex-AllStar