Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EITC

ChiHoang
Level 4

My client files married jointly. They have a home in the US, but one of them does not live in the US for more than 6 months. Can they claim EITC ? If not, what is an option ?

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/who-qualifies-for-the-ea...

U.S. Citizen or Resident Alien

To claim the EITC, you and your spouse (if filing jointly) must be U.S. citizens or resident aliens.

If you or your spouse were a nonresident alien for any part of the tax year, you can only claim the EITC if your filing status is married filing jointly and you or your spouse is a:

• U.S. Citizen with a valid Social Security number or
  • Resident alien who was in the U.S. at least 6 months of the year you're filing for and has a valid Social Security number

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

So what we need to know is whether the spouse who does not live in the US is nevertheless a US citizen or resident alien.

ChiHoang
Level 4

Husband is a US permanent resident, but does not live in the US for more than 6 months. Wife is a US citizen, owns a home, has earned income, and lives in the US more than 6 months. They have a daughter as dependent. Are they qualified for ETIC ?

0 Cheers
ChiHoang
Level 4

Husband had some foreign income ($5K) in 2023, but not filing form 2555.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Then where the husband lives does not matter. Where the daughter lives makes a difference.  And of course, the husband's worldwide income must be reported, regardless of where he lives.  If he qualifies for the exclusion for income earned abroad, there are special rules for computing EIC.  

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If the child's "principal place of abode" is in the US with at least on of the parents, it will qualify.

ChiHoang
Level 4

Thanks for your quick response.

The daughter lives with her mother in the US. The husband has foreign income of $5,333 and is qualified for foreign income exclusion, but I'm not filing form 2555. I think if I file form 2555, it will disqualify them for EIRC.

So it does not matter if he does not live in the US more than 6 months. It's confusing because in ProSeries, for "required to calculate EIC" I check NO for the second box " was taxpayer's .....more than 1/2 of 2023, it will not calculate EIC for them.

Please advise

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

In this case, it means either parent.  But the EIC rule is more based on where the child lives.

0 Cheers
ChiHoang
Level 4

So as you said if the husband is a permanent resident and does not live in the US more than 6 months. They will qualify for EITC.

But why answering NO to the second box of "calculate Earned Income Credit:" in ProSeries, it will not calculate EITC. ? 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I think that is an error in the program.

If they did NOT have child, then both spouses' "abode" would need to be in the United States.

But I don't see any such restriction if they have a child.  It is based on the child's abode, and if the child lived with the taxpayer for over half of the year (and living with the taxpayer for over half of the year can apply to either spouse).

ChiHoang
Level 4

Thank you for your answer. If it's an error in the program, then I should answer YES in the second box so it calculates ETIC.

0 Cheers