Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EITC in 2021

Greta
Level 9

Quite a few of my single (no qualifying children) clients will be eligible for the 2021 EITC. Does anyone know what earned income produces the maximum credit of $1502?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

$9,820 to $11,610 is the peak range for a single person with no kids.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I doubt anyone has this memorized, especially for 2021.

You'd need to pull up the EITC charts on the IRS website, just like anyone else.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

$9,820 to $11,610 is the peak range for a single person with no kids.

Greta
Level 9

Thank you! I really searched and could not find this info. I'm a bit curious how you found it, but ever so grateful!

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Heres the 2020 tables

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p596#d0e5489

the max is only $538 with zero kids.....did it really increase almost 3 fold ($1502) for 2021?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

It's a bunch of gibberish, but here is the new section of the law:

‘‘(3) INCREASE IN CREDIT AND PHASEOUT PERCENTAGES.—The table contained in subsection (b)(1) shall be applied by substituting ‘15.3’ for ‘7.65’ each place it appears therein.

‘‘(4) INCREASE IN EARNED INCOME AND PHASEOUT AMOUNTS.—
‘‘(A) IN GENERAL.—The table contained in
subsection (b)(2)(A) shall be applied—
‘‘(i) by substituting ‘$9,820’ for ‘$4,220’, and
‘‘(ii) by substituting ‘$11,610’ for ‘$5,280’.

In a nutshell, you get a 15.3% credit if your income is up to $9820, it stays at that amount until $11,610, then it starts phasing down after that.

It is fairly simple calculation for a single person with no kids (well, after you decipher what the legal gibberish means), but the numbers/calculations aren't quite as easy with kids.

Greta
Level 9

Yes, it increased to $1502 but just for tax year 2021 I believe. Perhaps there are no tables published yet. I'm impressed that our colleague found the calculation needed. Among my clients who are self-employed, this will equal what they owe in self-employment taxes. Not a coincidence that 15.3% is used in the EITC calculus? In past years this was a big hit for self-employed folks.