Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early Roth Distribution

Rainman1966
Level 3

My client had a Roth IRA withdrawal in the amount of $24000 that was all earnings.  He was under the impression that he could withdraw the amount tax free the year he turned 59 instead of 59 1/2.  He did the withdrawal one month before turning 59 1/2.  He received a 1099-R from Fidelity with a code J.  I reviewed part 1 of the form 5329 but do not think any of the 1 thru 12 exceptions apply.  Has anyone had any luck in getting the 10% penalty waived. 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

While there were ways to salvage this for 2020, there is not much to do for 2021. Too bad so many people do not get better guidance from their broker/agents, much less ask the tax preparer if this is a good idea before acting on it.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
qbteachmt
Level 15

Your taxpayer doesn't control this.

A google search reveals Roth Ordering Rules: The IRS has prescribed a distribution hierarchy for Roth IRA assets. Contributions are always taken first; conversions (if any) are second in order by year of contribution, with converted pre-tax assets taken first and converted after-tax assets taken second. Earnings are considered distributed last.

Example:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/o/orderingrules.asp

Assets are distributed from a Roth IRA in the following order:

1. IRA participant contributions
2. Taxable conversions
3. Non-taxable conversions
4. Earnings

There are also rules regarding specific assets. For example, contributions are distributed tax-free and penalty-free, and converted pre-tax assets are distributed without being taxed or penalized, providing that they have been held in the account for five years or more.

If the pre-tax assets have not been held in the account for at least five years, then a 10% fee would apply to the distribution. Converted after-tax assets, however, are always distributed tax-free and penalty-free.

Further earnings are distributed tax-free and penalty-free if the Roth IRA has existed for five years and the distribution is done on or after age 59 ½, or following death, disability, or a first-time home purchase.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Do you have his ROTH basis entered in the program at all? I think theres a quickzoom button on the 1099R worksheet somewhere to take you to that area.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Rainman1966
Level 3

He has no basis as he withdrew all of his contributions in prior years.  If he would have waited 30 days in order to meet the 59 1/2 rule he would have had no taxable income from the withdrawal.  Now he has a taxable Roth distribution plus the 10% penalty.  I was hoping that someone might have encountered this problem and knew of a way to get the penalty waved.  Probably an impossibility.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

While there were ways to salvage this for 2020, there is not much to do for 2021. Too bad so many people do not get better guidance from their broker/agents, much less ask the tax preparer if this is a good idea before acting on it.

Rainman1966
Level 3

I agree.  What makes matters worse is that it was his investment advisor that told him it was ok in the year he turned 59 1/2.  No future responses needed from the group.  As always thank you for your input.

0 Cheers