Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early disabled Roth IRA distribution

Avs19
Level 5

Hi,

My client recieved a 1099R, code J for an early distribution he made last year. According to publication 590-B, the distibution is not subject to tax or penalty. Does anyone know how to notate this in Proseries?

Thanks

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
taxshack
Level 5

Sorry I missed in the title that it said disabled.  Disregard what I said before.  I think you have to go to the 1099-R worksheet and check the box that is below 19-1 that says to check if Qualified.

Untitled.png

Preparing taxes is not my life, but my life is amazing because I prepare taxes.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
taxshack
Level 5

It is subject to penalty unless they had basis.  You want to find out the cumulative basis and enter it on the IRA Info worksheet.

0 Cheers
Avs19
Level 5

30K distribution with 10K in basis. 

Am I missing something in the IRS publication 590-B where it says that if you're disabled, than an early distribution from a Roth IRA pays no tax or penalty?

Thanks

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Does entering the exempt amount in Question 1, column a line c of form 5329 work?

0 Cheers
Avs19
Level 5

That takes care of the penalty but it's still taxing the 30K. I'm not too concerned about the basis at this point because it's only 10k.

0 Cheers
taxshack
Level 5

Sorry I missed in the title that it said disabled.  Disregard what I said before.  I think you have to go to the 1099-R worksheet and check the box that is below 19-1 that says to check if Qualified.

Untitled.png

0 Cheers
Avs19
Level 5

Tried that but it doesn't do anything

0 Cheers
Avs19
Level 5

Actually, that did do it. I just had to check the box that he openned the IRA account before 2018.

Thanks for your help!

taxshack
Level 5

Yay! I'm glad that was the answer.

0 Cheers