Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-Filing an Amended 2020 Form 1040-X when I didn't file the original return

Minnow58
Level 2

My client's son decided to do his own taxes this year, using TurboTax.  A good thought, but he didn't pick up the Recovery Rebate Credit, amongst other things.  The client has asked me to amend the return (filed in March 2020 and the refund has been received) and to bill him for my efforts.

I have prepared the Form 1040-X ($2,200 refund).  When I tried to e-file the 1040-X, the program won't allow it because it thinks the Form 1040 was not filed.

How do I get around this issue?

Thanks.

Mike Gilligan

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Your options are to (a) mail the return or (b) use another software.

As was noted, Intuit arbitrarily imposed a needless restriction on ProSeries that will only allow us to e-file the amended return if we filed the original one.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
PATAX
Level 15

I do not think you can file an amended return for that since you did not prepare the original return on Pro Series... But check on this forum just to be sure as others had the same issue...just my opinion

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Your options are to (a) mail the return or (b) use another software.

As was noted, Intuit arbitrarily imposed a needless restriction on ProSeries that will only allow us to e-file the amended return if we filed the original one.

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Arbitrary is right! The Federal worksheet originally instructed you could manually check the box, if you knew the original return was accepted, and proceed to e-file the amended return. That option disappeared sometime in April so if you didn't use Proseries to file the original return, you are just out of luck to e-file the amended one.

I guess Intuit thinks preparers only correct the returns they prepare. Another flawed concept to add to the list. 

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

They presumably added that restriction for TurboTax. 

Because much of ProSeries stems from the programming of TurboTax, Intuit would have probably needed to 'add' that function to ProSeries.  Despite us IMMEDIATELY complaining about that (when the first notice came out from Intuit, even before it was available in the program), Intuit has chosen ignore its customers on yet another Intuit blunder.

abctax55
Level 15

Bill - does that mean "we" Lacertians can efile 1040-X even if we didn't do the original?  Since Lacerte doesn't work off the TurbohhhhhhTax programing?

I can't test it 'cuz:

1) I'm not taking new clients

2) I don't make mistakes so I won't have to amend any of mine ..🤣

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I think so, but I'm not sure.  I *think* I saw somebody post that either Lacerte and/or PTO can do it, but not 100% certain.