Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-file Reject due to locked SSN

jnd2546
Level 4

Tried to e-file "2021" Joint return with Primary taxpayer and with spouse who died in 2021.

Identified date of death of spouse in the return.

Reject said Spouse SSN was locked by SSA because it belongs to someone who is deceased.

Doesn't offer much solution in the reject other than contact SSA.  Not sure if that means to get them to unlock.

Also mentions about printing the return and mailing to the appropriate service center.

Any insights appreciated.? 

Thanks!

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
rbynaker
Level 13

You'll have to mail it in.

jmarkham
Level 3

I've had this happen a couple of times in the last 2 years. It is a royal pain when you've already prepared client letters for an electronically filed return and had the surviving spouse or the executor sign the Form 8879, only to have it kicked back on a "filing for a deceased person/locked SSN" error. Now the client letter must be redone for a paper filing, a Form 8948 (Preparer Explanation for Not filing Electronically) must be prepared and you've got to get the surviving spouse or executor back into the office to sign the return and then drag yourself to the post office to mail it certified (because you've been burned before). Not to mention having to explain to the surviving spouse or executor, hey I don't know if this going to go thru or not but we're going to give it a shot and hope for the best. BTW don't waste your time calling ProSeries, they don't have a clue and had no plans to seek a resolution with the IRS when a called several times last year. I don't understand why this is happening out of the blue. I have filed for deceased taxpayers for 15 years and never had an issue until the last 2 years. It makes zero sense. 

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

It is happening because scammers figured out a way to cheat the government using decedent SSN's.  I'm on the side of the government.  I guess some people are on the side of the scammers, because they feel inconvenienced.  

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Why couldn't IRS and SSA work together on decedent SSN security by at least issuing Identity Protection PINs to the surviving spouse to allow tax returns to be filed.   

BobKamman
Level 15

Because most of the people who die while collecting Social Security benefits are not filing tax returns, or do not have a surviving spouse.  And how would Social Security know if they were still married when they died?    

dkh
Level 15

Should be a way for a surviving spouse to initiate a IP pin when SS is notified of the death.  

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

When you die, what's to keep me from claiming to Social Security that I'm your surviving spouse?  Describe the process. They will probably ask me for a copy of the marriage license.  If I'm a liar, I can also be good at forging documents.  Meanwhile, others will have former spouses that still have the marriage license, while the federal government keeps no central file of divorces.  

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Doesn't offer much solution in the reject other than contact SSA."

In case it is an error, the SSA can issue a letter of explanation and look into the situation.

"Not sure if that means to get them to unlock."

No, you want it to stay locked.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Bob, I know my idea has lots of weak spots.    Too many liars, cheats, scammers in this world. 

0 Cheers