Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate SSN on large number of returns?

ando421
Level 3

duplicatesocialerror.jpeg

Is anybody else getting an oddly large number of "Duplicate SSN / Return with this SSN was already filed"? or are a lot of my clients actually experiencing some type of fraud. I've had roughly 7 clients get rejected due to this exact issue and none of them came in stating they experienced fraud or had a PIN number. If the returns need to be mailed in I will do so but this is very odd. I've never gotten more than two of these in a single year. Is there any kind of fix or potential solution?

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ando421
Level 3

I found the issue. I guess my proseries is just slightly broken. I contacted a few of the clients I'm having this issue with and they said they all received their refunds, exactly what I wrote on their client copy folder. So I guess my ProSeries is showing "Marked for EFile" still when actually they've been accepted. Is there any way to now fix this so I know who has been filed and accepted?

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
abctax55
Level 15

Consider whether you've been hacked/compromised.   You might log -in to the IRS website to see how many returns have been filed using your EFIN.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
PATAX
Level 15
  • 👍Excellent advice ABC...
0 Cheers
ando421
Level 3

Haven't been compromised in any way. It wouldn't even let me attempt to file if somebody had compromised my system and filed it beforehand. Not sure why somebody would hack me and then file just a few specific clients with nothing special coming back as refunds so I don't believe this is the case.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

They would probably use the SSN to file a different tax return - not the one in your system..

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
ando421
Level 3

I found the issue. I guess my proseries is just slightly broken. I contacted a few of the clients I'm having this issue with and they said they all received their refunds, exactly what I wrote on their client copy folder. So I guess my ProSeries is showing "Marked for EFile" still when actually they've been accepted. Is there any way to now fix this so I know who has been filed and accepted?

0 Cheers