Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a live in girlfriend qualify a party to be Head of household.

shf1957
Level 7

Have a client that has a girlfriend and she has NO income and lives with the client for more than an entire year.  He makes over 100,000. and she doesn't work or have any income.  Does this qualify him for Head of Household  or is he still single?   I know he supports her 100 percent and ownes his own house etc... It' just confuses me .

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
Norman2001
Level 7

Read IRS Pub 17, page 27 Table 2-1. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

No.  The rules are very clear.  Time to brush up on your basics.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
rcooley25
Level 11

if she qualifies as your dependent yes.

If she does not qualifies the answer is no.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

a girlfriend cannot be a HOH qualifier.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
rbynaker
Level 13

If you don't have a nice desk reference for this stuff (get one), the IRS has an interactive tax assistant (ITA) for filing status here:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/what-is-my-filing-status

There are several other ITAs so you should bookmark this page:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita

You'll get a much faster and more accurate answer than asking a bunch of strangers on the Internet. 🙂

rcooley25
Level 11

It appears that I have 3 lashes with a wet noodle  for the answer I gave.

I dropped the ball on that one big time.

I guess it was because it has been so many moons since I have had to deal with that issue.

It could also be that I am simply gettng to darn old to be doing this.

PATAX
Level 15

@rcooley25dont worry about it...... that question is asked all the time, so obviously many dont know.

Camp1040
Level 10

She would be a qualifying relative and not a qualifying child...you can take it from there. You may need some cpe or reading time.

PATAX
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- 🖌📖

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@rcooley25  I just thought you confused it with how your live-in qualifies you for HoH.