Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Sole Proprietors Have To Pay Tennessee Business Tax?

Ephesians3-14
Level 8

I have a client who operates as a sole proprietor in TN. She told me that she has to file a business tax return with the TN Dept of Revenue. I think she may be wrong.

I know that sole proprietors are NOT subject to TN franchise and excise tax. But I think TN also has a "business" tax (I don't think that's another name for the excise tax as far as I know). I don't think she would owe any tax in TN if she is a sole proprietor.

Do sole proprietors have to pay business tax in TN?

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
Ephesians3-14
Level 8

EDIT: Sole proprietors, corporations and LLCs all pay the TN business tax. 

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

The "BUSINESS TAX",  applies to most businesses.  But don't confuse that with the Tennessee Franchise & Excise Tax 

The business tax is imposed generally on anyone delivering goods or services to Tennessee customers, but a number of activities and entities are specifically exempted. For example, taxpayers are exempt from the business tax if they generate less than $10,000 in sales.  Manufacturers are exempt from Business Rax also. These are licenses to do business in specific counties and cities.

You have to get these licenses in each county you do business, and renew each year by april 15. These are based on Sales...has nothing to do with profits.

The Tennessee Franchise & Excise tax is applicable for Corporations, S-Corps, and LLCs,  The Franchise & Excise Tax is NOT applicable for sole proprietors, as Tennessee has no personal income tax.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.