Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIYers looking for help

dkh
Level 15

OMG!  this week has been crazy with previous clients turned DIYer looking for help.  Haven't seen them for 6,8,10 years but sure why wouldn't I want to take on another return less than a week before the deadline.   It's not like I'm doing anything.    

Going to resort to locking door and only will open with a secret knock.

6 Comments 6
linda2
Level 5

We have a client whose son decided to do his own returns this year.  Turns out he files incorrectly, completely misses a state filing and has to amend 2 state returns.  Wanted us to fix now--told father this is an after tax season return.  Amateurs!

PATAX
Level 15

Once they leave I usually do not take them back. Their slot has been filled by someone else. Let the Cheap Chumps learn the hard way.

tctxldy
Level 3

Am having the same situation.  I've even closed previous office and now work from home and they still find me.  Guess I should have changed my number as well  🤔

IRonMaN
Level 15

I quit answering the phone and changed my voicemail to say - there is less than a week before the deadline, if you need assistance please dial 867-5309.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

I've thought about ending charges for return preparation and going to a Netflix model allowing clients to pay a monthly subscription fee, based on their history of return complexity.  If you haven't been a subscriber for at least a year, don't call or come by.  If you let your subscription lapse, you can always start up again by paying for the lost months.  

taxes96786
Level 9

I include in my voice mail and yearly letter to client that any documents arriving after a specific date will not be filed prior to the deadline and that no new clients will be accepted after that date.

If you have a storefront post a large notice on the door and inside your office with the information.