dkh
Level 15

OMG!  this week has been crazy with previous clients turned DIYer looking for help.  Haven't seen them for 6,8,10 years but sure why wouldn't I want to take on another return less than a week before the deadline.   It's not like I'm doing anything.    

Going to resort to locking door and only will open with a secret knock.

linda2
Level 5

We have a client whose son decided to do his own returns this year.  Turns out he files incorrectly, completely misses a state filing and has to amend 2 state returns.  Wanted us to fix now--told father this is an after tax season return.  Amateurs!

PATAX
Level 15

Once they leave I usually do not take them back. Their slot has been filled by someone else. Let the Cheap Chumps learn the hard way.

tctxldy
Level 3

Am having the same situation.  I've even closed previous office and now work from home and they still find me.  Guess I should have changed my number as well  🤔

IRonMaN
Level 15

I quit answering the phone and changed my voicemail to say - there is less than a week before the deadline, if you need assistance please dial 867-5309.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

I've thought about ending charges for return preparation and going to a Netflix model allowing clients to pay a monthly subscription fee, based on their history of return complexity.  If you haven't been a subscriber for at least a year, don't call or come by.  If you let your subscription lapse, you can always start up again by paying for the lost months.  

taxes96786
Level 9

I include in my voice mail and yearly letter to client that any documents arriving after a specific date will not be filed prior to the deadline and that no new clients will be accepted after that date.

If you have a storefront post a large notice on the door and inside your office with the information.