Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dependent

JJ04
Level 2

Child is 22, NOT a full time student. Part time , took 1 class at community college and has 1098T.  He has 2 W2 and earned $25,000.+. Lives with mother and she provides more than 50% of his support , can he be her dependent on her tax return? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

No.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Does she provide more than $25,000 for his support, since that is what he earns, or does he bank every penny?

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
Camp1040
Level 10

Does the child meet the 7 tests of a qualifying child?

Does the child meet the 4 tests of a qualifying relative?

George4Tacks
Level 15
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

No.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
JJ04
Level 2

For qualifying child don’t you have to be s full time student ? He is not , but passes all other tests. For qualifying relative there is an income limit that he exceeded, but the mother is the only living parent and provides over 50% of his support , her W2 is over $100,000 and pays all household bills . Since the 1098t does have at least part time checked ... 

0 Cheers
JJ04
Level 2

Not full time student for qualifying child but 1098T part time box is checked. Meets all other tests , qualifying relative he exceeds the income limit. 

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

I really think you answered your own question. Doesn't qualify, 

JJ04
Level 2

Meets tests for qualifying child except full time student , 1098T does have the part time box checked. Qualifying relative exceeds the income limit. I’m having a moment of self doubt , looking for the answer I believe I already know 

0 Cheers
JJ04
Level 2

Thank you , just looking for confirmation in a moment of self doubt ! 

0 Cheers
JJ04
Level 2

Yes , thank you. Moment of self doubt 

0 Cheers