Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deducting and Amortizing Start-Up Expenditures

taxgirl0216
Level 3

I am completing a partnership return that has start-up expenses under $50,000. I am looking to deduct $5,000 in the current year and amortize the rest over 180 months. I have entered each asset, the date incurred and the expenditure amount on the screen for "Deemed Election to Amortize/Deduct Start-Up Expenditures". But when I print the return, I see no evidence of this deduction.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I just opened a dummy return and input some amortized start up expenses, I see the figure flow  to the 4562, but I dont see it go anywhere else either.  Im not that well versed in Partnership returns, but I just dont see the figure anywhere.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Go to asset entry worksheet, enter info use code Z for type of asset. Scroll to bottom of form and enter asset type 15 years SL. That should do it, and the deprecation will flow to 1065 page 1-2

taxgirl0216
Level 3

Thank you for your response. Any ideas how I can get the $5,000 of allowable expensed start up costs to show up as “start up costs”. Only idea I have it’s to manually enter it on Page 1 of the 1065 line 20. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Thats what you do on a Sch C, put it in as Other Expenses.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
renee
Level 1

There is no "Z" in the "type of asset box.  

0 Cheers