Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

College deductions - Room & Board?

gfpstaxes
Level 4

The IRS site says room and board is not a not qualified education expense, yet Pro Series has a line for it and if I put a number in it, the refund changes. Why is this?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Room and board doesn't qualify for the tuition credit but it can be used to offset 529 plan withdrawals.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

Room and board doesn't qualify for the tuition credit but it can be used to offset 529 plan withdrawals.

Slava Ukraini!
gfpstaxes
Level 4

Thank you, I had just figured that out before I read your message. The client had 2 1099-Qs and one had $436 in box 2 (earnings) and it was being taxed until I put in the Room & Board expense.

The interesting thing is that the other 1099-Q had earnings on it also and it was never taxed. The difference between them is that the one that got taxed had the parent as the recipient and the other had the dependent (student) listed as the recipient. In both cases, the student was the beneficiary.

The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@gfpstaxes  It can also potentially come into play if the taxpayer happens to reside in a Presidentially Declared Disaster Area.     

AAG11
Level 1

Where in Pro Series do you input College Room & Board?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Student information worksheet

Slava Ukraini!