Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

clients return was rejected because ex filed with children's SS#

Dani70
Level 3

My client has full legal and physical custody. Every year he does this. I sent in a letter with the return explaining this and IRS rejected the return. I was told to send in for 4821 by a new IRS rep but I am not finding this form anywhere, What is the correct form that I need to resend this return with. 

Thank you for your advice in advance

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
BobKamman
Level 15

Maybe Form 8821?  So you can talk to IRS about it.  Did you try to attach the letter to an e-filed return?  File a paper return, and suggest to your client that she ask for relief (including fees) from the state divorce court.  

Dani70
Level 3

No not efile, I mailed the return in with the letter of explanation and the court papers. I do have a release signed and have spoken to the Irs and they told me to file a 8942 for which is for investments. So it is possible that the lady that helped me was new. So I am trying to figure out what form I need to resend the return with.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

It's been a while since I paper filed anything.  How does the IRS reject a paper filed return?  Do they just mail it back to the taxpayer?  I'm genuinely curious.

The only rejected paper returns I've ever seen have been because the taxpayer forgot to sign them.

0 Cheers
Dani70
Level 3

I had to call and a rep told me that it was rejected, my client has gotten nothing in the mail saying it was rejected.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Rule #1 for tax practitioners:  If you think you have to call IRS, you get what you deserve. 

Rule #2:  IRS never reads anything you attach to a return, at least while it would make a difference.  

Rule #3:  Review Rules #1 and #2 regularly.

Reading between the lines here, you have checked "Get Refund Status" and there's some generic message there that suggests you call IRS.  When was the return filed?  If this happens every year, what has been the outcome then?  

0 Cheers