Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car depreciation:

Ptpllc1
Level 1

Is it possible to take the mileage for car expenses and at the same time depreciate the car for an uber or lyft driver?

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
sjrcpa
Level 15

No. Actual expenses or cents per mile.

Depreciation is included in the cents per mile rate.

Ex-AllStar
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

You can probably make the software do it, but it would be a mistake on a preparer's part to be a party to filing a return that way.

Ptpllc1
Level 1

Any IRS reference that it is not allowed?

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

On second though - I removed my comment. Good luck.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Are you a tax professional?

I don't mean any offense, but this is VERY basic knowledge for a tax professional that prepares a tax return with self employment.  If you are not familiar with this very basic information, you may want to turn down this client until you have had a chance to learn more about how to report self employment income and expenses.

Again, this is NOT meant to offend you, because we ALL have things that we are not knowledgeable about for tax returns.  But as tax professionals, we should not be accepting clients that have situations that we don't even know the basics.

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Thank TaxGuyBill.

I was trying to figure out how to say something along your lines, but gave up. You were much clearer than I would have been.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

It took me a while to figure out how to say it too.   😂

IRonMaN
Level 15

It's called double dipping and the IRS isn't an ice cream shop so it can't be done.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Any IRS reference that it is not allowed?"

Find the Breakdown for the mileage allowance components. You will see depreciation is already in there. You cannot take things separately as well as in the Mileage Allowance. That's why it's called Double Dipping.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers