Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot download 2021 software

PATAX
Level 15

I first tried to download from the CD and couldn't do it...... Only thing that changed from 2020 that I know of is that I switched to Microsoft Edge... I then tried to download directly from intuit and that didn't work either.. both times I got about halfway through before it ended... I do have slow internet service... Not sure if I should just get a new computer or change back to Internet Explorer... Computer is 8 years or so... Any help would be appreciated... Anymore we have to be i.t. experts too, getting to be too much crap anymore..

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PATAX
Level 15

Update, purchased another computer with Windows 11 and better internet connection and absolutely no problem downloading.... So it was the computer and/or internet connection...

View solution in original post

21 Comments 21
IRonMaN
Level 15

Have you tried downloading from the 2020 version of the software to see if you are any luckier there?

As a side note, I use 8 year old computers as boat anchors.  Personally, I would upgrade my system.

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15
PATAX
Level 15

That is what I tried the second time directly from the 2020 software after talking to a colleague.... It could be the computer is too old or maybe since I made Microsoft Edge as my default that something in this is causing the problem... Not sure... ..

dkh
Level 15

I use Microsoft Edge - program downloaded without a problem.  I agree with @IRonMaN - that computer would make a great boat anchor.    It's only money @PATAX -spend some on a new computer.

PATAX
Level 15

Yeah I think you're exactly right dkh... As soon as I wrap up this monthly work I'm going to go get a new computer and switch over to super fast internet...Do You think I should transfer the files from the flash drive to the 2021 software on the new computer? Or should I install the 2020 software on the new computer also? Thanks

IRonMaN
Level 15

Personally, I would go for the 2020 program on the new computer.  It makes it easier if you have to look back.  I have a three year cycle for computers - whether I think I need a new one or not.  I always put the prior year on the new computer to make life a little easier.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Yeah that sounds good Ironman... I can keep the old computer for the other old software and any other programs that I can't transfer over to the new computer.... 

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

I have a three year cycle for computers - whether I think I need a new one or not.

I keep mine a bit longer than that.  But if I have a hard time installing it this year it might be time to upgrade my Apple IIe computer.   😂

PATAX
Level 15

Might be a good idea to try to download software now so if you do have a problem you have plenty of time to get a new computer

dkh
Level 15

I concur with you PATAX and Ironman. Load 2020 on new.   Keep old computer to lookup anything older.   

I would even load 2019.  Sometimes if my clients current tax return Schedule C and prior have huge differences, I'll look back one more year for comparison.     

Anyone a fan of the movie - Catch me if you can - ?    I think of that everytime I hear - I concur

dkh
Level 15

Apple IIe   ....... yeah time to update.   The Smithsonian might be interested in it

PATAX
Level 15

Yep that sounds good dkh... The one good thing is I do have paper copies of everything just in case I can't download the old software onto the new computer...

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I used lap link when I upgraded to a new computer last year. It moved 19 years of Proseries (Don't bother asking. I have no idea why I have 19 versions of Proseries, as if anyone showed up now wanting a 2006 return completed I probably would not do it anyway...(unless I quoted some ridiculous fund a whole vacation price and they agreed)) and several versions of quickbooks seamlessly, along with everything else I used, also moved my data files.

I was very happy with the process and the results. I was also going from a Win 7 computer to Win 10, and that did not cause any issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0771TK6CR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Every time I wait a couple or 3 or 4 years too long I am amazed at the difference just in boot time of the old and new machine. But I will probably forget again and try to milk an extra few years out of this one.

PATAX
Level 15

Jeff, thanks a million for that lap link... I wasn't aware that that product existed and I'm going to buy it... It might be a lot easier than trying to find or download all of the software first , if possible, and then reinstate the clients or files to the software....

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I have to admit I was surprised how well it worked. There were some reviews that said some of the programs were iffy, but I seemed to get pretty lucky.

good luck with it.

PATAX
Level 15

Thanks Jeff, I read some of those reviews, and most of them are good... If it doesn't work then it will be no loss... Years ago I bought one of those hard drive external devices that was supposed to be able to recover everything in the event of a crash... The only thing that crashed was the device itself... another time I bought a really nice monitor, and it is still sitting in the box as it wasn't compatible... I don't mind... You know what some people say,  you have to spend money to make money....

Camp1040
Level 10

If it is the type of plug that is causing your new monitor to not be compatible, there are quite a few conversion/ adapter plugs on the market that may make it work. Would be a shame to look at a nice new monitor in a box.  Check monoprice.com for cables and adapter plugs.

PATAX
Level 15

Update, purchased another computer with Windows 11 and better internet connection and absolutely no problem downloading.... So it was the computer and/or internet connection...

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Congrat's!

One less remaining problem. And you get credit for a SOLVED!! as well

PATAX
Level 15

Yep I told you guys I was going to start doing that...😉🐕🎄

IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, Intuit has created a foolproof system 😵💫

Slava Ukraini!