Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I deduct books, & computer for college expenses

Dani70
Level 3

Client has 2 1098 T's one has $ only box 5 grants or scholarships. The other 1098T has $ in box 1 payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses and box 5.  She is wanting to deduct all her books and computer expenses. I am not finding where to enter this in pro series and not sure if I can?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yes, other qualified expenses that are not on the 1098-T can be entered.

On the Student Information sheet, scroll down and you can enter the additional Fees, Books, etc. on the spreadsheet-style part of that sheet.

The computer may depend on if the college required a separately owned personal computer.

I also recommend that you ask for the "financial account" printouts from the college(s).  The 1098-Ts are not always accurate.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yes, other qualified expenses that are not on the 1098-T can be entered.

On the Student Information sheet, scroll down and you can enter the additional Fees, Books, etc. on the spreadsheet-style part of that sheet.

The computer may depend on if the college required a separately owned personal computer.

I also recommend that you ask for the "financial account" printouts from the college(s).  The 1098-Ts are not always accurate.

Dani70
Level 3

THANK YOU.

I greatly appreciate your advice