Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an amended return be e-filed If I did not do the original

Chief109
Level 2

I know it couldn't be done but now there is a box on the information worksheet that asks if the original federal return was successfully e-filed.  I have tried and I can't seem to make it work so I'm assuming it can't be done. ?

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I just EFiled a 2020 amended return that I DID NOT prepare the original, went through fine, so I know its possible.

People seem to struggle with amended returns and Im not sure why.

I prepared the return exactly as the original was prepared, then saved and exited. 

Then I reopened it and activated the 1040X and put the year in the top.  Went back to the 1040 and made the changes and checked the amended EF boxes on the fed info worksheet.  Printed out the enw 8879 for the client to sign, it showed the correct amended refund on it.

Saved and exited.  The EFCenter showed the federal amended in the Pending screen, I highlighted and it and hit the EFNow button...was accepted within the hour.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Chief109
Level 2

Thank you for the response.  I did all of that but I didn't close out and come back in.  I will do that and see what happens.  Right now it's only letting me e-file the original and not the amendment.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

All 3 EF boxes need to be checked....the one for the 1040 (up higher in the worksheet than these) and both of the ones for the amended EF.  And dont try and EF from within the client file, do it from the EFcenter.

EFAMENDEDBOXES.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers