Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUSINESS EXPENSES

Gambers516
Level 1

MY CLIENTS BUSINESS HAS BEEN GENERATING INCOME FOR FOUR YEARS. HOWEVER, THIS YEAR THERE IS NO INCOME, ONLY EXOENSES. CAN I DEDUCT THOSE EXPENSES?

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
IRonMaN
Level 15

Was he still in business?  What were the expenses for?  Why was there no income this year?

Why all of the shouting?  Everybody's hearing here seems to work fairly well so you really don't have to shout.

Slava Ukraini!
Gambers516
Level 1

Yes, he is still in business. He sells a product he makes. he's made product, it just hasnt had sales this year. His expenses are for the depreciation of his equipment and costs of materials, as well as sho rent and utilities. PS: I will try to keep it down.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

If he is still trying to sell the stuff, he should be able to deduct some of the expenses.  But keep in mind that if some of those expenses are overhead they might need to be factored into inventory and not deducted until the products are sold.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"and costs of materials"

Are you familiar with cost of materials vs cost of goods sold?

Materials that are part of product on hand or used to produce those goods for sale, that are not yet sold, are not Expense now. They are still there, invested in the product still on hand. That's the fine line you need to understand. Well, it's more of a bright line.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.