Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

business expense

hspeck
Level 3

TP has a courier business like door dash. Can he legally declare expenses for carrying a gun and cost 

of ammunition.

10 Comments 10
IRonMaN
Level 15

Just because he wants to feel like Wyatt Earp when he is making deliveries doesn't make it a legitimate business expense.  Unless Door Dash requires all couriers to be armed, it isn't deductible.

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

I'm curious, how much ammunition is being used in this trade or business?  I would guess the number of shots fired for business purposes would be somewhere around 0.

The answer may depend on whether you're on the south side of Chicago (I hear it's the baddest part of town) or nearby Naperville, IL (listed by Forbes as the safest city in the US (with 100K+ population)).  It may also depend on what's being "couriered."  Drugs?  That's a hard "no" under IRC 280E.  IRC 162 simply refers to "ordinary and necessary expenses."  Are these ordinary and necessary?

abctax55
Level 15

Oh Rick.... the same thing flashed into my brain 🤣

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2a5CjKOTlg

If you are dashing around with caviar or Wagu beef.... maybe?  

McDonald's - probably not.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
BobKamman
Level 15
MICHAELMARS
Level 5

If the service offers armed couriers then sure.  Include range fees and ammo for training.  Not knowing where this is located, wondering if he has a business permit?

qbteachmt
Level 15

"wondering if he has a business permit?"

Permits? We don't need no stinkin' permits...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
taxes96786
Level 9

I didn't see anything in the article, posted by Bob, that says the IRS allows a gun/ammo (in any State) as an ordinary and necessary business deduction.

It would only be allowed if employer requires it. Although client would be considered an independent contractor...I question whether the company he contracts to has this requirement. It seems to me that they would share a liability therefore, should have a say in whether the contracted hire is carrying a weapon.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Great article Bob.

Laura, you need to develop a sense of humor.

Ex-AllStar
taxes96786
Level 9

I have a sense of humor. I suspect it is too subtle for many on this site.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Then maybe you want to save that sense of humor for those that really appreciate it.

Slava Ukraini!