Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

auto withdraw estimated quarterly payments

JML222
Level 4

Client wants to set up an auto withdraw of quarterly estimated payments. I am unable to find this capability in the program.

Any insight?

TIA

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes.  For IRS, go to the "Estimated Tax Worksheet" and in Part III, hit the checkbox for each quarter you want automatically withdrawn.

I know here in IL, that feature is unavailable.  Check your state to see if you can do it there.  It would undoubtedly be on a comparable form for each state.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7

Yes.  For IRS, go to the "Estimated Tax Worksheet" and in Part III, hit the checkbox for each quarter you want automatically withdrawn.

I know here in IL, that feature is unavailable.  Check your state to see if you can do it there.  It would undoubtedly be on a comparable form for each state.

BobKamman
Level 15

While you're at it, explain to him how to answer the client who calls in September and says he wants to change the amount, or the account number.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

A simple phone call cancels the scheduled payments, then you can use IRS Direct Pay to make any changes and reschedule any remaining payments.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

"Simple" and "phone call" are generally not found in the same sentence when discussing IRS, but I'll take your word for it.  How does the person at the other end of the line know it's the taxpayer?  (And I hope the preparer isn't allowed to do it.)

Helped a client a couple years ago whose family member died in early September.  The scheduled payment for September 15 was rejected by the bank.  IRS charged a penalty of $40.  Wasn't worth a simple phone call to try to get it back.  

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive done it numerous times for clients, its not a problem.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

What's a reasonable fee to bill them for that?  And do you ever go on vacation so you're not around when they ask?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Its literally 10 minutes out of my life, Im not going to charge them for it, I may bump up their bill a little more than usual the following year though.

Vacations stress me out, packing, traveling, unpacking, UGH!    Im never out of town more than a few days at a time...its never been an issue.

0 Cheers