Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

altaba cash distribution

rjh224
Level 2

where do i enter the cash distribution, 1099div, for the liquidation distribution of altaba stock?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
BobKamman
Level 15

In general, distributions made pursuant to the Plan of Complete Liquidation and Dissolution, including the pre-dissolution liquidating distribution, will be treated for U.S. federal income tax purposes as a series of distributions in complete liquidation of Altaba in which amounts received by stockholders are treated as full payment in exchange for their shares of Altaba common stock.

A liquidating distribution received by a U.S. stockholder will first be applied against and reduce the stockholder’s adjusted tax basis in its Altaba common stock, before the stockholder recognizes any gain or loss. A U.S. stockholder will recognize gain as a result of a liquidating distribution to the extent that the aggregate value of the liquidating distribution and any prior liquidating distributions received by the stockholder with respect to a share exceeds the stockholder’s adjusted tax basis in the share. A U.S. stockholder generally cannot recognize a loss on a liquidating distribution until the final liquidating distribution is made, and then only if the aggregate value of all liquidating distributions with respect to a share is less than the stockholder’s adjusted tax basis in the share. If a U.S. stockholder holds different blocks of Altaba common stock (generally as a result of having acquired shares at different times or at different prices), gain or loss is calculated separately with respect to each such block. Any gain or loss recognized by a U.S. stockholder will be capital gain or loss provided the stockholder holds its Altaba common stock as a capital asset.

For a general summary of certain material U.S. federal income tax consequences of the Plan of Complete Liquidation and Dissolution, including a more detailed description of the U.S. federal income tax consequences of liquidating distributions to U.S. stockholders, please see Altaba’s proxy statement dated May 17, 2019 under “Proposal No. 1: Approval of the Plan of Liquidation and Dissolution — Material U.S. Federal Income Tax Consequences of Liquidation and Dissolution.” That summary and the above discussion are for general information purposes only and are not tax advice. Altaba can make no assurances as to the tax consequences of distributions made pursuant to the Plan of Complete Liquidation and Dissolution.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Gross proceeds like any other sale of stock....at least thats how I read the instructions.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

What instructions are you reading?  IRS conveniently dodges this issue, as far as I can tell.  It's the same as "return of capital" dividends in Box 3 of the 1099-DIV.  The taxpayer is trusted to keep a running total of these and reduce basis when the stock is sold.  (I think some of the brokers do this for them, but I'm not sure.)  The problem with both "return of capital" and "liquidation distributions" is that they can accumulate over several years.  

I don't think IRS looks for LD's anywhere on the return, and I wouldn't put it on Form 8949 until substantially all of the proceeds had been collected.  

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The statements Ive gotten had instructions for reporting included right on it....the amounts were so piddly (under $20), it wouldn't make a different anyhow.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers