Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alabama Update 2-24 now causing an e-file error requiring Form 2210 even though it does not apply

mm1
Level 5

No penalty on this client because tax owed is less than $500 and the return shows zero penalty, yet when I tried to e-file the Alabama return it failed because I had not marked any box on Form 2210. I finally checked a box at the top and it e-filed. Anyone else having this problem?

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
mm1
Level 5

Update: I stated that incorrectly. The taxpayers I have e-filed had overpayments and paid estimates timely yet it still requires the 2210 form to have a box checked. I cannot figure out what is triggering this. It has now happened twice. 

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

What's the error message you're receiving? 
Please copy and paste the text or take a screenshot. Thank you. 

0 Cheers
mm1
Level 5

Since I have already filed his return by checking box A on the state form 2210, I cannot replicate it for you. Basically when going through error checking before e-filing, I get the error message "1. Form 2210: reason for filing box A - you may owe a penalty, you must check the Box B,C,D, or E to select the method of calculate the penalty or check box A to request a waiver of your entire penalty." He owed no penalty as he paid the majority of his AL estimates in April and the balance in October when I did a projection. The 2210 form shows his payments in excess of his liability and calculates 0 penalty for each period. Yet when I initially tried to e-file his returns, the federal went through but AL was rejected because of the 2210 form. I had to mark Box A to get it to e-file. 

I have not yet e-filed another AL return past the 2 initial returns that had this situation. When it occurs again, I will stop and take screen shots of all pertinent forms and attach here.