Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adoption and Child Tax Credit

jsoles24
Level 3

My client adopted a baby and the adoption was final in 2020. Due to the pandemic, the SSA did not issue a valid SSN but gave her an ATIN to use in filing her 2020 tax return. The child was 2 years old at the end of 2021. My client has still been unable to obtain a valid SSN for her adopted child to file her 2021 tax return. The SSA told my client that she must apply for a valid SSN for her adopted child in person so that they can view the original adoption decree. The SSA offices have been closed for in person appointments and therefore my client is using the ATIN again for 2021  Because she is still using the ATIN, ProSeries is not calculating her true Child Tax Credit of $3,600 but only calculating $500 for "Other Dependent" because the ATIN is not "valid for employment". I don't know how to advise my client, at this point I'm stuck. HELP!!

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

File an extension and have the client try their best to get the SSN by October 15th.