Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Order of Adoption Credit and Child Tax Credit

ellen1
Level 2

In 2021 - and it was allowed, the Adoption credit offset Income Tax and the refundable child tax credit was issued.  in 2022, prepare the return with the adoption credit carryover, apply it against income tax and request refundable child tax credit.  Taxpayer received notice and refund was reduced.  per t/c with IRS the adoption credit cannot be applied first to reduce income tax and a refundable child tax credit be issued.  I am researching on my own - but wanted to reach out in case someone else has experienced this issue as the agent stated i was the second call in regards to this matter today.

Clients adopted special needs children in 2021 - qualifying for max credit carryover and have 4 children.  New one in 2022 - as this happens after adoption. 🙂  Thank you in advance for any assistance. 

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Have you manually filled out the worksheets in the Instructions for line 13 of the 8812 and line 15 of the 8839?

If you do that, and if they show the credit is allowed, I would respond to the IRS notice with that.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Have you manually filled out the worksheets in the Instructions for line 13 of the 8812 and line 15 of the 8839?

If you do that, and if they show the credit is allowed, I would respond to the IRS notice with that.

0 Cheers