Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8915-F Form

Amanda44
Level 3

I know it's still early, but I was checking on something for a client and realized that the 8915-F form is still showing for this particular client.  She's already claimed the full amount of her retirement distribution - 2020, 2021, and 2022.  I'm assuming there will be an update to remove the form? Anyone have any insight? Thanks!

0 Cheers
13 Comments 13
IRonMaN
Level 15

The issue was brought up earlier.  Hopefully an update fixes it, but who knows when that will be.

Slava Ukraini!
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

I can see if I can drum up some professional help on this issue.  He seems to know all about 8915 issues.

@fireball

or maybe by his other name

@rcooley25 

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

For the most part, it is still 2022 software and does 2022 things (such as the 8915-F).  They seem to have A LOT of updating to do before it is ready for 2023.

TiredFarmer
Level 7

Anyone besides me wait until after tax season starts to send the first returns?

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@TiredFarmer wrote:

Anyone besides me wait until after tax season starts to send the first returns?

I'm not that optimistic.  I wait until NEXT tax season to file this year's tax returns.   🤣

@taxiowa:

You have to be kidding!  Now that he is retired, Mr. Fireball is probably egging ProSeries on to make sure they include that form on every return.  By the time ProSeries figures out the form isn't needed, it will be about April 10th, which is about when they will have the program updated if this extenders bill passes.

IRonMaN
Level 15

But everybody has to look at the positive ----------------- at least the form was released early this year 😜

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I had a Moderator assure me they're still looking into this 2 days ago, as of right now, you have to manually delete the form.   

However, I'm guessing (from past experience with weird thigs like this) once they do fix it, client files that have already been transferred may not be "fixed", so you may want to wait before transferring all clients over.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
rcooley25
Level 11

While I am retired from tax preparation i think 8915f should not be a problem for 2023. It was suppose to be for spreading distribution from early 401K distributions from 2020 over 3 years. Ther for 2022 was the final year and should not have any bearing on 2023 tax returns.

IRonMaN
Level 15

It was nice of you to stop in for a visit.  I hope you have someone reliable guarding your Fireball supply while you are here visiting.

Slava Ukraini!
rcooley25
Level 11

do have someone reliable guarding my supply of fireball. Me'

It is definitely a Fireball Day here in IL.

Now that you are retired, will you still pop in and offer us your sage advice?

rcooley25
Level 11

I sure will.